The crowd shifted with confusion, muttering to each other about who was dumb enough to buy such a useless thing

Qin Rong was feeling the same way, staring at his companion with a look of shock and dismay.

Why the fuck was he bidding on the bracelet!?

"W-what are you-" His stilted words were cut off as the auctioneer spotted another hand rising.

"A-ah we have another bidder raising the stakes!" She cried, looking relieved as she pointed to a third person.

Qin Rong could only wonder what was in the wine that all of a sudden, all these people were scrambling for a useless piece of jade. He only hoped Xander wouldn't keep goi-

The bastard raised his hand again.

Qin Rong didn't even bother complaining. It wasn't like him winning the bid would bother him. He just didn't understand why this guy was suddenly bidding so hard when he was trying to be low profile.

He could only sit back and try to ignore the price skyrocketing between the three.

The first bidder had given up 3 raises ago, leaving only Xander and the mysterious other bidder. Qin Rong had tried to spot the other person, curious as to who was even dumber than the guy next to him but the darkness made it impossible to even see their outline.

In the end, Xander won, offering a price that could feed a village for a year.

All for a damn bracelet.

He gave the man a scolding look, ignoring his grin as he sat back with satisfaction.

"Satisfied?" Xander asked, his tone seeking approval in such a way that made Qin Rong want to smack the stupid from him.

If not for the damn lord nearby and the guards watching them, he'd have done it. He'd have chewed him out for being so reckless and drawing so much attention. Now everyone would be curious about the idiot with deep pockets who had bidded on junk.

It would be a hassle!

"I... have no words, my lord." The mercenary said through gritted teeth. His eyes swore that when they were alone, he'd express his true feelings on the matter.

Xander reached out to touch his cheek, caressing his chin like they were true lovers.

"Actions speak louder than words, my dear." He said, his voice clear for anyone to hear. "May I have my thanks as more than words?"

Who the fuck was thanking you!?

Truly, he wanted to punch this guy but he couldn't without compromising their mission. This was bigger than just him. If things went well, they might even be able to rescue some of the slaves being sold here.

But he absolutely refused to let this guy get the last word.

***

Xander felt a bit bad for teasing Qin Rong like this.

They were on a mission and he shouldn't be playing around like this. He bid only to make sure he didn't seem suspicious. He won a few and lost a few, perfectly normal when compared to other newcomers.

But that bracelet was the only thing to bring light to his fae's eyes.

Throughout the entire auction, regardless of what was brought forth, Qin Rong's eyes remained cold. Even as slaves were brought out, crying and pleading in languages that few even cared to learn, the man showed no response.

It wasn't the apathy that he'd seen all his life from his fellow nobles. That might have been disappointing but something he could fight against.

No, all that was in the fae's eyes was acceptance.