035: how safe is safe?

Start from the beginning

"Okay." He mumbled.

"¿Cómo te sientes hoy?" He peered down at the boy as they got closer to the shop.

"Estoy bien." Rio shrugged. Was he fine? How could anyone be 'fine' in a time like this? It was basically bad or a bit less bad. "¿Tu?"

"También soy bueno." Jesse bumped his shoulder with a smile.

He then kneeled down to Rio's level, stopping inches away from the store. The older boy peered inside, craning his neck to look out for anything or anyone. "We need to be careful, okay? I can't see if there's anything in there but just in case." He mimed zipping up his lips. "Do you understand?"

The smaller boy nodded.

"It's most likely empty but like I said—."

'Just in case' Rio smiled. Jesse scruffed up his hair before pushing open the store door carefully. The glass pane pushed against the small bell fitted at the top of the door frame, making anyone near aware of their presence.

A faint rustling and startled chatter could be heard and Jesse pushed the two to the floor, crawling behind the counter as quietly as they could.

'What is it?'

Jesse just held a finger to his lips, his back pressed against a drawer. Impending footsteps approached, the heavy paces seeming to rattle the ground.

"We know you're in here!" A man's voice yelled out. It was deep and gruff and didn't sound welcoming at all.

"Here, Rio, take it." Jesse pressed the gun into his hands. He shook his head adamantly but Jesse insisted. 'Keep it, I've got this'

"Come out!" The man called again when he got no response, rapping his hand against the shelves.

"Hey, hey, hey." The boy whispered repeatedly, holding Rio still by his shoulders. He pulled off his cap, placing it upon Rio's head. 'Keep it safe, yeah?'

The smaller boy nodded, wide-eyed. He was drowning in his brother's stuff, his hat, his coat and his gun imprinted in his hand from where he held it so tightly

"Who's there?" The man called out, loud enough for Rio to clearly understand him, even from his hiding space.

Jesse squeezed his eyes shut, bracing himself before  standing up, hands held high in the air. "It's just me. I don't— I don't want to hurt you." He pleaded with the man.

He walked forward, making his way over to the stranger. Rio peered through a crack between the shelves, biting down on his lip in fear as he caught sight of a blonde woman. She held her pistol out, the barrel in line with Jesse's head. She creeped from behind some shelves, her and the man on different sides of his brother. They'd cornered him.

"How many of you are here?" The woman asked.

"It's just me." He reiterated. "Please. I'm not armed, please, don't shoot."

"You don't think that bat's a weapon?" The man asked. He sported khaki pants and had a shaved head. Even without the dog tags dangling from his neck Rio could've guessed he was military.

"I ain't gonna use it on you, I swear." The boy admitted. Jesse pulled his rucksack off his shoulders, dropping it to the floor. The bat clattered along with it making a harsh metal echo in the empty store.

"What's your name?"

"Jesse. Jesse Mendoza." His voice picked up in a panicked state. The boy's eyes darted between the two adults, hoping they'd leave him be.

"I trust you, Jesse Mendoza." The blonde woman decided, glancing towards the man. "I'm Leona, this is my husband David."

"You're not gonna hurt me?"