Season 4 ~ The Morning After

The five of us drove all the way back to the Wheeler's house in silence, everyone occasionally asking Max if she was okay from the previous events.

We made our way down to the basement. Robin and Nancy still hadn't returned from their trip to the asylum.

"All right," Steve said, sitting on a small chair next to the couch. "You kids might want to get some sleep."

Before I send Dustin to sleep, I pull him aside, "make sure you keep an eye on Max tonight, let me know if anything happens."

"Yeah, I will." Dustin nodded before walking to a seat next to Max.

"I'm serious." I say, grabbing his shoulders and looking into his eyes.

"I will." He nodded before sitting next to Max, where she had begun to fall asleep.

The kids nodded their heads, one by one falling into a deep sleep, minus Dustin who had found some headphones to keep himself entertained while on Max watch. I had grabbed a blanket to place over Max before sitting across from Steve.

"Hey." He said, looking into my eyes. "Are you okay?"

"No." I reply, looking down at my lap and picking my nails. "I'm so worried about Max."

He sighed, nodding his head slightly. "She'll be okay."

"No she won't." I said, tears forming in my eyes. "Did you not see what happened to her. She was a million feet in the air just an hour ago and all you can say is she'll be okay? What if it gets worse, huh? Think about that Steve. I know you don't necessarily like watching these kids or "babysitting them" but I love them with my whole heart, so I'm sorry if I don't believe she'll be okay."

"You don't think I care about them?" Steve says, his voice getting louder as he stood up and walked over to me.

"Steve, shh." I say, standing up and putting my hand over his mouth to quiet him.

"Of course I care about them! I spend all my time with those kids!" His voice still not getting quieter. "I care about everyone. There is just one person I care about the most."

His voice got softer as he said that, looking right into my eyes and slowly began grabbing my hand. My breath hitched as his other hand wiped the tear that made its way down my cheek.

The door opened, startling the both of us, Steve removing his hand from my cheek but not letting go of his hand that was in mine, as Nancy and Robin rushed down the stairs.

"Hey guys." Robin said, a small smirk on her face as she noticed our hands.

I yanked my hand out of Steve's and made my way back to the spot across Steve. "Hey Rob, hey Nance. How'd it go?"

"It went fine-ish." Robin said, sitting next to me and letting out a yawn leaning her head on the table, leaving a bit of room for me. "I'll tell you guys more tomorrow."

"Yeah," Nancy says, lying down on the floor. "We'll tell everyone about it in the morning."

I lowered my head on the table next to Robin, slowly falling asleep, the events of the day still replaying in my mind.
===
"Dustin, can you hear me?" Eddie's voice echoed through the room as I abruptly woke up. "Dustin? Earth to Dustin."

Grabbing the walkie-talkie, I click it on. "Hey, it's (Y/n)."

"Henderson! Hey." He says, a small laugh in his voice. "Um, I'm gonna need a food delivery, like, really soon, unless you want me going out into the world."

Shaking my head, I click on the radio once more. "No. No, no, no. Don't do that. Just stay where you are, and we'll be there as soon as we can."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah." He says, chewing his food. "Listen, um... can you pick me up a six-pack? I know, it's stupid as shit, drinking right now, but uh, a cold beer would really calm my jangled nerves."