𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐂𝐊𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐅𝐋𝐀𝐆𝐒

"3

"3...2...1... Go!!," the checkered flag swiftly swaying for a second was all that standbys were able to see before their vision was covered with blinding dust from the ground. The two cars raced off, accelerating to the best of their ability, aiming to make a complete circuit before the other was able to.

Watchers were shrieking, this was the first time that audiences were able to see the races in person, instead of streaming and making bets illegally on who would win. Meanwhile, other racers were observing from a heightened boxed suite, able to observe tactics, cheating, and any other antics that were taking place.

Dusk covered the horizon, as everyone was waiting in anticipation for the race to be over, so that the brand-new tournament season could begin. Every racer's name was placed into a black sleek box, in which the commentator would come down, announce the winner of that night's race, then pick out two names for the next night's race.

It was all a matter of who was better, some desperate to assert a type of dominance to the racing world or try to be unique to separate themselves in any way possible. Tonight's practice match consisted of two racers who desperately aimed to jeopardise one another when possible; the infamous Tobio Kageyama and Tsukishima Kei.

Racers who were there from the beginning knew their tension, the constant remarks, the drive to beat each other in any way they knew how to, and the overall hatred that they had for one another. No one knew the reason, and no one really wanted to, every racer had their own competitors, the ones that they targeted, but when all is said and done, they hated everyone they were up against, envy engulfing them for various aspects.

Flashes of midnight blue, and a dark green flew by on the dirt path, as both drivers pushed their limits and tried new techniques that they could possibly use on a real race. The two racers aligned with one another, able to see each other when looking outside their windows.

Shouts over the engines could only be heard by the drivers themselves,

"Don't cry over spilt milk Kageyama, this race had my name all over it before we even started," Tsukishima aimed to intimidate.

"You're saying that, but all the bets have been put on me so far Tsukki," the navy haired boy goaded, trying to get a rash reaction out of the blonde.

"Just wait till this is a real race between us, your pride will get the best of you, 'king'".

And with that, the blonde took the distraction as an opportunity, and sped in front, cutting Kageyama off at a turn. 

The end was in sight, girls in particular were wailing at the exorbitant vehicles, wishing with all their might that, just maybe, one of the racers would take notice of them and take them home, that was the goal after all. They could see it now; the fame, the sex, the money, the treatment. That was the dream life for them all, and they all knew well enough that there were enough racers to go around for them, or so they hoped.

Taking control of the wheel with precision and care, Kageyama wrapped his fingers around the wheel, tensing as he attempted to catch up with Tsukishima, but it was too late. Why did this have to be the result? Why did he have to be 4 seconds behind?

Just because of Tsukishima's calculated distractions.

Pulling up next to Tsukishima's car, Kageyama indignantly stepped out of the car, slamming the door and became inches away from Tsukishima's face. 

"Just wait till next time, then you'll have something to smirk at you bastard."

Tsukishima smirked again at this; they were just going in circles about who would win their next challenge.

Meanwhile, up in the suite, fellow racers were observing the situation occurring closely, taking a mental note of reactions, triggers, and routines. If the racers hadn't spoken outside of racing, they would never converse with each other, but they all knew that they were doing the exact same thing so that they could obtain an advantage.

After a minute of seeing the two butting heads, one of the twins, Atsumu, finally spoke to his brother, breaking the silence,

"God those two never stop do they?"

His other twin then replied quietly,

"Nope, but why would you expect anything different? They've been at this for years; we're just waiting for the tiebreaker these days."

As they were conversing, the next to pipe up was a spikey black-haired individual to his fellow racer, who he would say he formed a good friendship with over the years, but that was the issue with all of them, none of them were united, only small friendships to connect with and go to if needed.

"Kenma, if I went down there and picked that blonde in the crowd, do you think we would fuck tonight?" Kuroo questioned.

"Ew what the hell Kuroo, your name could be picked for tomorrow's race, and you're actually worried about a quick fuck?" his friend asked in slight disgust.

"Well, that's the point, it's like a sort of relief you could say."

Kenma decided to no longer dignify him with any response, but waited for the commentator, Yachi, to call them all down for the picking ceremony. Then within the next few minutes, a bell chimed, and they all went down the stairs, and gathered around in a dome-shape.

"Thank you for coming down everyone and thank you to the audience who made it here last night. This was just a practice run to see how smoothly things would go for the season, so we appreciate you and the two drivers who so generously volunteered for tonight," the yellow-haired girl stated through her microphone, and then continued,

"I have come to a conclusion about tonight's race, the winner being Tsukishima due to the several second difference in finishing, so let's give him a round of applause!"

The girls behind the separation barriers roared into cheer, acting as though they were rooting for Tsukishima all along, when really, it was Kageyama that they placed their bets on, and now it was Tsukishima got all their money.

Before anyone could properly congratulate the winner, Yachi pulled out the box with everyone's names, which made the audience shut up in a mere second.

"The first two racers of the winter season are...

Kenma Kozume and... Aimi Hangai!! We all look forward to seeing you both on the tracks tomorrow!"

And with that, Yachi turned and left.

"Who the hell is Aimi Hangai?" one of the racers, Oikawa, asked.

"I have absolutely no idea, I didn't even know that there would be another racer joining us honestly" Suna stated

All of this was background noise to Kenma, he didn't want to put someone new at risk, all he could do was hope that things would run smoothly. And while his horny friend shook his shoulders in excitement for him, he was worrying about racing with someone new in general. He didn't know her racing style, the techniques she uses and what kind of driver she is, it could all go wrong, and all he could do was wait.

𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠!