2.

The crisp autumn breeze swept through the air as Abigail Campbell eagerly awaited the call that could change her footballing destiny

The crisp autumn breeze swept through the air as Abigail Campbell eagerly awaited the call that could change her footballing destiny. Her phone, lying on the coffee table, seemed to mock her patience with each passing second. Abigail's mind raced with anticipation, the recent winning streak of Arsenal WFC adding to the intensity of the moment.

In the background, the television buzzed with highlights from the latest victories – 5-0 against Leicester, 3-0 against Everton, 3-1 against Tottenham, 4-2 against Villa, and a triumphant 2-0 against United. The cheers of fans echoed in her mind, fueling the excitement that bubbled within her.

Just as Abigail was about to lose herself in the post-match analysis, her phone lit up, vibrating with a call. She snatched it up, heart pounding, and answered with a breathless, "Hello?"

A familiar voice, one she had been waiting for, greeted her on the other end. "Good afternoon Miss Campbell, My name is Sarina Wiegman and I come with some news for you."

Her eyes widened, and a grin tugged at the corners of her lips. "Wow, ok. What's happening?"

"Congratulations, Abigail! You've been selected for the Lionesses squad for the FIFA World Cup qualifying group stage. Your performance on the pitch has been outstanding, and we believe you'll bring that same energy to the senior national team."

Abigail's excitement reached a crescendo. "Wow, Sarina, thank you! I'm honored, truly. This means everything to me."

Sarina chuckled warmly, "Well, you've earned it. Your dedication and skill have not gone unnoticed. Get ready to represent your country, Abigail. This is your moment. We play North Macedonia on the 20th of October at St Mary's stadium, you'll be picked up from your house in 5 days so the 10th. We look forward to seeing you Miss Campbell."

As the call ended, Abigail let out a triumphant cheer, unable to contain the joy and pride swelling within her. This was her national call up since the 2019 World Cup having torn her ACL before the Olympics. 

"Leah get your ass in here!" Abigail called her best friend with a squeal. 

Leah came in running with a big smile mirroring the one on Abi's face. "I heard everything! I told you, Sarina needs you in the squad. The international games weren't the same without you." Leah tackled Abigail into a suffocating hug on the couch.

"I love you Le but get off me, I can't breathe you lump." Abigail desperately tried to get Leah off her as they both broke out into fits of laughter.

Abigail and Leah nestled into the comfort of the living room couch, scrolling through social media with bated breath. The anticipation hung in the air as they awaited the official announcement of the Lionesses' squad for the upcoming FIFA World Cup qualifiers. Abigail's fingers nervously tapped her phone screen, already aware of her selection, but the thrill of seeing it publicly declared added an extra layer of excitement.