Chapter 98: Rapture

Start from the beginning

It was so sudden, no warnings - it simply appeared there and hit that unfortunate aircraft leading them. Everyone took a moment before digesting the situation and realizing they were under...

"Attack! Defensive maneuvers!" The leader shouted frantically as dozens of Annonrial aircraft scattered individually in the sky.

Without thinking why, everyone immediately went for full throttle, evading an invisible attack. However, these were the right calls for the situation, as more and more speeding objects flew past their formation and began actively chasing their aircrafts.

And upon closer look, adrenaline immediately kicked in for every pilot as they saw the incoming threat. Everyone gulped at what they saw: long tubular objects with flames bursting forth from their rears, displaying abnormal agility that could kill any pilot attempting such incredibly dangerous high-G maneuvers.

"Arrows of lights!?"

The shout echoed throughout the intercom as a few more aircraft were immediately mauled to death by the chasing reapers of the sky. Several more exploded into fiery fireballs, as others desperately evaded what was coming from their rear.

Annonrials and the threats of the sky danced through the air as missiles relentlessly chased Annonrial aircrafts. The Phantoms, being fighters, had the highest chances of surviving due to their inherent speed and maneuverability. Some successfully shook off missiles as they weaved through the sky. However, the Gallerias, meant to be attack aircraft, or more like high-speed attack helicopters, couldn't possibly dodge on the level of high-maneuverability fighter types like the Phantom. With incredibly wide turns, resembling aircraft like the F-105, both in large turns and physical appearance, they had abnormally large turns at high-speed flight. They could be extremely agile at slow speed with very tight turns when going for VTOL hovering like a helicopter. But in high-speed flight, their only hope was to get close to the ground and have the guidance of missiles be confused in the terrain. Thus, everyone immediately dove to the ground at high speed. Unfortunately, those that had been locked on couldn't outrun a supersonic missile, essentially marking them for death.

Boom!

Boom!

Fires and dark plumes of smoke blossomed in the sea of Arakal as long-range sniping turned nine Annonrial aircrafts into scraps in less than five minutes.
_______________
JTF-CLC, 11th Fighter Squadron

Eight F-15SGs soared at transonic speeds, leaving their AWACS aircraft behind. The AWACS is now conducting ad hoc battle management in the area, with Airborne Warning Command and Control Systems operators scanning their instruments, giving instructions on the situation, and providing long-range surveillance on all units in the vicinity. This has been ongoing since the beginning of the battle for the defense of Canossa from the intruding Annonrial fleets and aircraft.

"Darkstar to Fulcrum 1-1... target group BRAA, 020... 90, 1,200 thousand, flank... Hostile, 49 contacts."

On their screens, a uniformed aerial armada appears, maintaining a clean and disciplined formation from a modified A400 AWACS type.

One of the few AWACS assets of ASEAN, this A400 has been modified using Chinese surplus from the South China Sea, incorporating stricken and stocked KJ-2000 components. Originally, several A400s and 747s were adapted as ad hoc AWACS, using civilian radars in the war against Parpaldia, achieving a fair degree of success. However, when talks and agreements facilitated the transfer of existing weapons and their spare parts from the fortified artificial islands and ships of PLAN, as well as remnants of China in another world, three KJ-2000s were acquired. These modified Ilyushin Il-76s, equipped with radar discs and spare parts, have entered SEADF service in homeland defense. One is presently deployed in Rodenius, with spare parts either being reverse-engineered or integrated into other SEADF aircraft, serving as force multipliers in long-range aerial surveillance assets.