61. How To Torture Someone Without Being Caught: A Guide

Start from the beginning

"Yer right, Y/N, I'm sorry if I made yer think yeh weren't enough fer me," Hagrid said, pulling her into a side hug. She winced as he crushed her. "An' yer right abou' Harry an' Ron an' Hermione . . . I guess I forgot yer in N.E.W.T.s now and have ter think about yer futures. . . ."

The bell chimed distantly, signalling the start of the next period.

"Well, we'd better head out, I've got somethin' that yeh might like," Hagrid said, winking and carefully exiting his cabin. Y/N, for some reason, didn't have a very good feeling about what he had to offer. Perhaps it was from experience, but typically anything that Hagrid thought that she would like, she didn't.

She joined Hagrid outside, waiting for Hannah Abbott and Anthony Goldstein. A small crate, the smallest Y/N had ever seen, sat next to Hagrid, and Fang was sniffing at it excitedly, fresh from a run around the Hogwarts grounds. It didn't take long for the two students to approach them, wearing contrasting Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw robes. Hagrid looked crestfallen at the lack of students (Y/N, Hannah, and Anthony exchanged frowns—they had been closer due to the D.A.) but with a quick look at Y/N, he grinned and clapped his hands together.

"All right, yeh three, I've got something small planned fer today," Hagrid said in such a bright voice that you'd think it was fake. Actually, Y/N did think it was fake. "Just ter start this year off right."

He bent to open the tiny crate and Y/N, Hannah, and Anthony edged closer. Inside, a few round, fat, and golden creatures fluttered around. They had long, thin beaks, red eyes, and wings resembling a Snitch's.

"Can any of yeh tell me what these are?" Hagrid asked as they all sat criss-cross around the crate. It was uncomfortable with such a tiny class, but Y/N spoke up considering both Hannah and Anthony looked lost.

"They're Golden Snidgets," she said as one fluttered over to her, dropping into her hands. It was surprisingly light in her palms, given its plump size. Well, it was small, but she'd have expected the weight of a small stone, at least.

"Right yeh are, ten points to Gryffindor," Hagrid beamed.

"They're fat," Anthony commented, eyeing one as it fluttered in front of his face.

"They're supposed ter be," said Hagrid, nodding. "They used ter be endangered, but now the magizoologist communities' bred 'em back in ter existence."

"Didn't they used to be used as Snitches?" Hannah asked as one dropped onto her shoulder.

"Yer right, Abbott, ten points to Hufflepuff," Hagrid said, considerably happier now that he had students that were actually engaged and wanted to learn. "That's why they were goin' extinct in the firs' place, because they're extremely fragile birds. Now, yer job today is ter bond with yer Snidget, because yer going ter be taking yers with yeh until yer next lesson with me an' takin' care of it!"

"Really?" said Anthony, staring at his Snidget apprehensively. It was still fluttering in front of him, staring at him intently. "What if we injure it? Or kill it?"

"Then yeh get a 'T' on yer assignment," Hagrid said, awfully happily. "I won' give yeh any homework this year . . . yeh've got enough ter deal, with N.E.W.T.s an' all . . ."

They spent the rest of the lesson getting to know their Snidgets and learning about how to care for them. Y/N was pleased with the lesson greatly; she was excited to inform Harry, Ron, and Hermione of how great the lesson actually was now that Hagrid was more confident and disciplined with his creature choices.

"Remember, they eat cheddar cheese an' any small vegetables!" Hagrid called after them as they took off. "An' for extra credit, yeh can write a detailed analysis of yer Snidget with references from Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them!"