Chapter 1: Missouri

**Authors note: Welcome back, readers! Thanks so much to everybody who has been so patient with me while I battle with writers block, busy schedules and just sheer laziness. I have SO much in store for the Invincibles and am so excited for you all to join them on their journey! I will try to update every couple of weeks as I work through the story. Your support means the world to me, and every reader is special. Let's keep the word out there and EVERYONE share this with your friends! And now, the first chapter of BOOK TWO!**
CHAPTER 1

"Logan, drive faster!" Stella screams from the back seat, looking frantically over her shoulder. The 2 white security vans are gaining on us as we speed down the open highway. I can barely make out the outline of the road ahead of us, the fog is thick and the high beams of the vans aren't helping in the least.

"No backseat driving!" I growl, hands placed firmly on the dash in front of me, trying not to puke as the truck beneath me swerves from side to side down the winding road. I quickly pray that nobody is coming from the other direction for the next few miles, because this chase is definitely not being spent on our side of the road.

"I can't see a damn thing!" Logan leans forward in his seat, shoulders hunched over the wheel. We've only been driving for about 5 minutes, but it feels like hours. Frustration wells up inside of me when I think of how easy it would be to just blast the vans (and their drivers) off the road on my own. But we had all agreed before all of this started that we would ease up on the violence and only hurt people when it became necessary. Sadly, it often does. I'm beginning to think that if these freaking security guys don't give up soon, this will be one of those times. Logan seems to be thinking the same thing.

"Zane, will you at least take care of those stupid head lights?" He shouts out the window to Zane, who is hunkered down in the truck bed, clinging to the sides for dear life. He looks at Logan like he's nuts.

"Yeah," Zane snaps, un-moving. "I'll get right on that!" Logan looks irritated.

"Zeke?" He asks, glancing at my brother in the back seat. My stomach lurches as the truck flies over a bump in the road, sending us all airborne for barely a second. Zane yells from the back and I look back just in time to see him getting slammed into the far side of the truck bed. That's gotta hurt, I think. He grabs the strap hooked to the bed floor and pulls himself back up with a grimace, meanwhile, Zeke has opened the sliding window in the back. Wind rushes through the cab, causing my hair to swirl around chaoticly. Stella and Luke scoot to the sides of the cab as Zeke squeezes his upper body through the window and raises his hands. He takes a deep breath, and as he releases it, my ears are filled with a loud buzz, then a cracking sound as red electric bolts fly off his fingers. They strike one of the vans behind us just above the tires, and the lights go out. The van swerves just a bit but the gap between us remains the same. Zeke repeats the process with the second van, then slides back into the truck as Logan breathes a sigh of relief. I glance down at the map on my phone to see where we are.

"Okay, we're still on 32 but there's a populated area coming up." I tell Logan, and look for an alternate route. "In a second, make a sharp left."

"I'm going 80 miles an hour!" He points out, eyes glued to the road. "There is no 'sharp left' unless we want to flip the truck, or see if Zane wants to learn to fly."

"I can help with Zane," Luke pipes up, leaning towards the front. "Just don't flip the truck."

"Guys..." Logan starts to argue, but I cut him off.

"It's coming up, hit the brakes!" Logan slams the breaks, slowing us to a sliding 60 mph and the 2 vans pull up on either side of us. The guy to my right rolls his window down and pulls a gun.

"Pull over!" He shouts, one hand on the wheel.

"Bite me!" I shout back, at the same time Logan cranks the wheel to the left. The vans fly past us as we pull onto 517, and I hear Luke grunt with effort as he keeps Zane planted firmly at the bottom of the truck bed. Logan starts to speed up again but I stop him.

"Hold on, take another left up here. There should be an open field for us to go dark." Logan nods and goes the speed limit, eventually pulling into a dark field and stops. We turn out the lights and all hold our breath as we wait to see if its over yet. A minute goes by, then 5.

"I took out their lights, guys." Zeke reminds us, "They can't see a thing out here, and they'd be stupid to try." I have a feeling he's right, but we wait a few more minutes anyway. Finally, Logan clicks the car back on.

"Zane, are you okay back there?" Stella asks, sliding the window back open. We pull back out onto the road and Zane props himself upright against the side of the truck.

"Next time," he growls, "I'm driving."

"Can we please go back to the motel?" Luke asks, "I'm starving." I nod, and type in a location for the nearest fast food.

"There's a McDonald's about 10 minutes from here." I say, handing Logan my phone.

"It's almost 2 am..." Stella points out, "They won't be open."

"24 hour service," I say, and Zeke looks very pleased. I'm unsure whether to be worried or proud about the fact that we can break into a high security institution, attempt to blow it up, almost get killed by raccoon-children hybrids, get chased for for 10 miles by security... and then get McDonald's. Like... no big?

I go with proud.