Chapter 67: Daughter

Start from the beginning

Khushi felt odd to hear that. There were many things she didn't agree with her father, but to see him talk to her as though she was an equal, as though he valued her opinion... It meant something, she wasn't sure what exactly it was yet.

"I'm not saying this for your sympathy... I know that in your eyes, I'm not worthy of your forgiveness. But today... when you asked me why I hate you... I just..."

Alok trailed off, not being able to find the words. And to Khushi's great astonishment, she saw a tear leak from the corner of his eye. And then another one.

Her father was crying.

"No," she mumbled, very awkward now. She had expected everything but this. "Please don't... you shouldn't be putting any more pressure on your heart."

He shook his head. "No, I have to say it... and I realize now, that I should have said it a long time ago... Garima told me, warned me... but I never thought... my own daughter..."

He was making no sense.

"Papa, please, calm down," Khushi said, shakily reaching out to wipe the fresh set of tears pouring down his aged cheeks.

Alok, however, grasped her hand and clutched it to his heart. "Listen to me Khushi," he said, his voice shaky, but surprisingly steady. "You are my child, my daughter...so, of course, you matter to me. If you didn't, why would I push you to do what I thought was best for you? Just because I was harsh doesn't mean that I didn't care... In fact, I cared too much.

I cared about how you would stand against a society that still views women as homemakers; I cared about how you would ever start a family of your own if you were too busy working; I cared about how your husband could digest your success... it may be old fashioned, but I have seen enough to know that it still happens. You really think I don't know how much your mother has sacrificed? She held us together... just look, where all of us ended up without her."

Khushi listened, feeling a lump form in her throat.

"I knew you didn't like my methods... but I always thought when you would grow older, you would understand. Understand that whatever I did, it made you stronger... made you resilient... and if I was truly being honest, you proved to be my child more than Vihaan ever did."

Khushi was stunned. She had longed to hear her father's approval for as long as she could remember, and when it was finally said, she didn't know how she felt about it.

"You don't have to love me, Khushi... but please... just don't hate me. My intention was not to torment you, I was just trying to take care of you... as I knew best."

"I don't hate you," she mumbled. And it was partly true. She hated his behaviour, sure, but she didn't know whether she truly hated him. "I just wish... you tried to understand me too... it wasn't easy for me, growing up in Vihaan's shadow... not knowing why you didn't have time for us..."

Alok patted her hand, still wrapped securely in his. "I can't bring back your childhood... nor Vihaan's... but I promise to stand by you both, even if I don't agree with either of your choices... Consider it my repentance for getting you married to Arnav."

Khushi exhaled sharply, the mention of Arnav bringing back Myra's haunting words.

Her father was quick to catch on. "I know you won't believe me... but I really did not know the extent of Arnav's past relationship... I had assumed –wrongly– that he had moved on, since Myra had disappeared to Dubai and Arnav took over his father's company in earnest."

Khushi didn't know whether she believed it. And even if she did, she knew it wouldn't lessen her pain.

"Back then, with the loss of your mother so fresh in my heart, I only thought of securing a future for you, rather than finding a future that would make you happy. And the only way I knew how was to fix an alliance that would forever be indebted to our family."