Chapter 120: Narrow Escape from Death

Start from the beginning

Being a doctor, he was no stranger to the thin line between life and death.

Yet, in that moment when Nan Zhi lay before him, fear unexpectedly gripped him.

Hu Wen recognized his feelings; he had fallen, perhaps irrevocably so, maybe from the very first glance.

He lamented, of all the people to fall for, why did it have to be an omega already bound to an alpha?

Wasn't this a heartbreak predestined from their first encounter?

To make matters worse, it was the younger brother of his sibling's spouse.

The following afternoon during Nan Zhi's hospital stay, the previously absent Lin Qiuwu visited the hospital.

Nan Zhi pondered. If not for He Yushen seeking Lin Qiuwu out because of Lin Yunjian's situation, he might have truly ended up as a mere set of bones. The alpha probably wouldn't even have wondered where he had gone.

"Daddy... sob... doesn't Daddy want Jian Jian anymore?"

As soon as Lin Qiuwu entered, Lin Yunjian struggled out of his embrace and, with tear-streaked face, ran to Nan Zhi's bedside, burying his face in Nan Zhi's hand.

Lin Qiuwu, on the other hand, stared in astonishment at the weakened Nan Zhi on the bed.

His hair was disheveled, and his tie askew.

The moment he heard about the omega's accident, even the usually composed Lin Qiuwu experienced a pang of panic.

"Why would Daddy ever abandon Jian Jian? Daddy was just ill and didn't want to infect Jian Jian. From now on, Daddy will always be by Jian Jian's side, alright?"

Nan Zhi's voice was also choked with emotion.

The room held not just Lin Qiuwu, but also Hu Wen and Nan Yi.

Nan Yi glared angrily at Lin Qiuwu standing at the doorway. No matter how he looked, he found the man detestable, this scoundrel.

Hu Wen, on the other hand, set his gaze upon the alpha, who was undeniably handsome and charismatic.

So, this was the outstanding alpha bound to the omega. He clearly wasn't your average alpha.

The typically narcissistic Hu Wen felt a pang of inferiority.

"You can continue to stay with Lin Yunjian, but you'll have to recuperate back at the Lin residence."

The previously silent Lin Qiuwu suddenly spoke up.

Seeing Nan Zhi on the hospital bed, not sparing him a glance, heightened Lin Qiuwu's unease.

"That's impossible. Nan Zhi won't let you take him away, and neither will Lin Yunjian," Nan Yi said, indignantly standing up and rebuking the alpha he found so objectionable.

He knew Lin Qiuwu had no affection for Nan Zhi.

However, he never imagined the man could be so callous, heartlessly having security remove Nan Zhi on a freezing, rainy winter day, while ensuring Yun Luo, only minutes away from home, was escorted safely.

"When you mercilessly turned him away, not even providing a driver, leaving him to brave the icy rain, you should've known then that you lost any right to have him by your side."

"I wasn't speaking to you."

Nan Yi's words rang true, making Lin Qiuwu uneasy and somewhat irritated.

The moment he heard of Nan Zhi's accident, he deeply regretted his actions. However, he would never admit his mistake.

He Yushen, just entering the room, frowned: "You have no right to make such demands. Moreover, Nan Zhi has every right to see Lin Yunjian whenever he pleases. If you disagree, the He family won't hesitate to take the Lin family to court."

"This is between him and me," Lin Qiuwu retorted, casting a displeased look at He Yushen.

He Yushen replied disdainfully, "We have every right to be involved in his affairs."

Approaching He Yushen, Nan Yi inquired, "You're here? Aren't you overseeing company matters?" He then took the alpha's hand.

"I came to be with you," He Yushen responded, affectionately ruffling Nan Yi's hair.

Lin Qiuwu's gaze settled on the face that bore a resemblance to Nan Zhi. The clear, cheerful eyes momentarily gave him pause.

Such a look, it seemed, had never been reflected in the eyes of the omega he shared a bed with.

"Jian Jian, do you want to be with Daddy or with your... father?" Even in such a moment, Nan Zhi gently sought Lin Yun Jian's opinion.

All eyes converged on the two of them on the bed.

Before he knew it, Lin Yun Jian had crawled over to Nan Zhi, leaning against him with teary, reddened eyes, both hands gripping Nan Zhi's arm.

Lin Yun Jian's big eyes filled with confusion: "Hmm... Can't we be together?"

Nan Zhi tenderly and calmly stroked Lin Yun Jian's head: "Jian Jian, you can only choose one."

"Jian Jian loves Daddy! Hate... Grandma."

The words of the young alpha brought tears to Nan Zhi's eyes. Lin Yun Jian truly was his little angel.

After staring intently at Nan Zhi on the bed for a while, Lin Qiu Wu spoke: "Lin Yun Jian must inherit the Lin family legacy. I can allow you to be with him, but you must return to the Lin household."

He had had numerous lovers in the past. One more, in the form of Nan Zhi, was inconsequential.

Moreover, Lin Yun Jian couldn't be without him.

Wasn't he fond of luxury? Then he'd give him just that. After all, money wasn't an issue for him, and Nan Zhi was obedient enough.

A bit of scheming didn't matter as long as he was the ultimate target.

For the first time, Lin Qiu Wu suddenly wanted to keep Nan Zhi by his side.

Nan Zhi's gaze finally landed on him, but this time, it was as indifferent as if he was looking at a stranger.

Nan Zhi coldly remarked, "You and I never had any connection. I won't return to the Lin household, and neither will Jian Jian."

In the past, he willingly clung to Lin Qiu Wu, but he no longer wished to.

For the first time, he felt grateful that Lin Qiu Wu had never marked him. He didn't belong to anyone and didn't need an alpha.

In his life, the most important people were only Lin Yun Jian and Nan Yi.