Chapter 7

You and Kevin decided to wait a couple of weeks before telling your parents about the pregnancy. By the time you hit your 16-week mark, you knew you had to come clean. "You ready for this," Kevin asked. "Not really," you said. Kevin squeezed your hand, and the two of you walked into his living room where his parents were watching TV.

"Hey guys," his mom said with a smile. "Hi Eva," you said, sitting down on the couch and wiping your hand on your pant legs. Eva looked at you with a worried expression on her face. "Are you okay, sweetheart?" You nodded as Kevin took the spot between you and his father. "We uh. We have something we need to tell you," Kevin said. "Did you crash your car," Franklin asked. "No, dad. I didn't crash my car," Kevin said. His dad breathed an audible sigh of relief. "Then what's going on," Eva asked, looking back and forth between you and Kevin. "I'm pregnant," you said, looking at the floor. Eva stared at you for a few moments. "How far along are you," she said. "I'm 16 weeks, we find out the baby's gender in a month," you responded. "How could you be so stupid? Did you even use protection," Franklin demanded. "FRANKLIN THAT'S ENOUGH," Eva scolded her husband. "No Eva, it's not. We taught him better than that," Franklin argued. "This conversation does not need to happen right now. If you need to take a walk, then take one, Franklin. There are things that need to be discussed," Eva said. With that, Franklin nodded before standing up and leaving the room. "So, I take your mention of gender means you're keeping the baby," Eva said, looking at you. You placed your hand in Kevin's and nodded. "Luckily I'm not due until after graduation," you said. Eva allowed your words to sink in. "So, what's your plan for after the baby comes," she asked. "Well, I've already spoken to Uncle Dan, and he said I could work for him at his tech company. He said he'd help me get certified. I already know my way around computers, so it's just a technicality for legal purposes. Y/N will stay home and take care of the baby," Kevin said. Eva nodded, agreeing that it was a good plan. "Have you told your father," Eva asked, looking at you. "That's our next stop," you said, trying to keep your voice level. "He might be disappointed, but he loves you very much, Y/N. He just wants what's best for you," Eva said, squeezing your knee. You smiled at her. "I'm going to go find Franklin and see if I can't get him on board with this whole thing," she said before getting up and walking out of the room.

You breathed an audible sigh of relief and laid your head on Kevin's shoulder. "Well, that went better than expected," Kevin said as he traced the veins in your hand. "Yeah, it really did. Now come the fun part," you said as you stood up, pulling Kevin up with you. The whole ride to your house, Kevin tried his best to quell your anxiety. He held your hand, made jokes, and he even let you play whatever music you wanted to. It worked for a bit, but it all came back with a vengeance when you turned onto your street. "Oh God, he's going to be so disappointed in me," you said as you put your face in your hands. "He might be, for a bit. But my mom's right. He loves you, and he will get over it," Kevin said as he put the truck in park. You nodded at him and climbed out.

"Hey dad, I'm home. Kevin's with me," you yelled as you and Kevin entered the house. "Hey sweetheart, I'm in the living room," he yelled back. You walked in and took a seat on the couch. "Hey, Kevin. How's it going," your dad said as he gave Kevin a fist bump. "Not bad, sir," Kevin said as he sat down next to you. "So, uh, dad. I, um. I have something I need to tell you," you said, looking at the floor. Your dad quickly turned off the television and turned towards you. "Everything, okay?" he asked, looking at you worriedly. "I'm pregnant," you blurted out before you could chicken out. When your dad didn't say anything, you looked up at him. "Dad, I'm so sorry," you said. "How did this happen? I mean, I know how it happened, obviously," your dad rambled. "I'm so sorry dad, I've ruined everything. You work so hard to give me a good life, and I threw it all away," you said, wiping tears from your eyes. "Hey, you're 18. You graduate in what? 5 months. Yeah, it's inopportune, but that's how life is. No matter what, I love you, and I will be here, always," your dad said, as he stood up and wrapped you in his arms. "So, what's the game plan," your dad asked, and Kevin began telling him everything you had told his parents. After everything, your dad also agreed that it was a good plan.

"So, are you guys hungry," he asked. "Starving," you said. "How about I order us some pizza, and the three of us can watch a movie," your dad suggested. "Sounds good to me," Kevin said. You nodded in agreement.