Chapter 3

For the next several weeks, you avoided Kevin like the plague. Which proved to be exceedingly easy, as he appeared to be avoiding you too. You didn’t know what to do with the knowledge you now possessed. Did you even have it in you to report what you knew? You weren’t entirely sure. Despite everything, you still loved Kevin deeply. Even if you could bring yourself to turn him in, who would you even tell? Would they even believe you? Surely Kevin had disposed of that notebook by now. God, you missed him. You missed the way his biceps flexed whenever he wrapped his arms around you. You missed the smell of his shampoo. But most of all, you missed the way he looked at you when he thought you weren’t paying attention. You caught him staring at you in that manner a couple of times at school, but each time you looked at him, he looked away.

You were practically killing yourself with worry, wondering if each day would be the day that Kevin would show up to school and enact his plans. Between that, school, and your part-time job, you didn’t even notice when you missed your period. It wasn’t until the third month that you'd missed your period that realized you something was wrong. You’d been rifling through the medicine cabinet in your fathers bathroom, looking for something to help with the rampant nausea you’d been dealing with. You had knelt down to check under the sink, and there was your unopened box of tampons. “OH SHIT,” you said out loud. You began taking note of all the little changes in your body over the last two months. Nausea, sore breasts, fatigue, and back aches. All things you had blamed on being stressed. But all of that coupled with 3 missed periods…

The room felt like it was closing in on you, but you knew you couldn’t break down. Not before you were 100% sure. So with every last bit of your remaining strength, you pushed yourself off the bathroom floor, grabbed your car keys, and drove to a drug store two towns over. You wanted to be sure you wouldn’t see anyone you knew. You couldn’t risk this getting out before you knew for sure. You decided on the Clearblue digital double pack. That way, you could test again if it came out negative. Just to be sure.

When you got back home, you locked yourself in the bathroom and began reading the instructions. “Why is this so complicated,” you asked out loud? After reading the instructions 3 more times to ensure you had absorbed them, you grabbed one of the paper cups from under the sink and ripped open the foil packaging on both tests. You peed into the paper cup and dipped both tests into it before replacing their caps and setting them face down on the counter. You set a timer on your phone for three minutes, sat down on the side of the tub, and began biting your nails.

“Y/N, are you home sweetheart,” your dad yelled from his bedroom? “Yeah dad, I’m just in the bathroom,” you replied. “Okay, well there’s money on the table for pizza. I have to head in for my night shift. I love you, I’ll see you before you leave for school tomorrow,” your dad said before you heard his footsteps descending the stairs.
The three minutes felt more like three hours, but the alarm finally went off. Mustering all of your courage, you stood up and walked over to the counter. You closed your eyes and flipped over both tests. Taking a deep breath, you opened your eyes.

Positive...

And...

Positive...

You felt like you couldn’t breathe as you sank down onto the bathroom floor. What the fuck were you going to do? On top of having no idea where you and Kevin even stood with your relationship. Your dad would be so disappointed in you. He worked double shifts 5 days a week, so he could give you every opportunity possible. And you went and threw it all away. How would Kevin even react? Would he want to be involved? Would he tell you to get an abortion? Did he even still love you? Did he ever love you? No matter what he needed to know. After all it was his child too.

You decided to get up early the next morning and go to his house before school. You knew both his parents and his little sister would already be gone for the day. And the last thing you needed was people at school overhearing your conversation.