FOURTEEN | FAUX PAS

Začať od začiatku

"What?" she spat, pulling her arms tighter around herself.

Blinking a few times, he shook his head and freed her from the prison that was his gaze. It didn't escape her notice that his silhouette was more rigid, like a statue looming in the shadows. His chin lifted in the direction of the dress, the movement the only thing reminding her that he was human.

"Doesn't suit you." He might as well have been talking about the weather with the emotionless certainty held in his voice. Somehow that was worse than the humiliation of a blatant insult.

That, she was used to. This was something entirely different.

"Excuse me?"

The next second he was already moving away as if nothing had happened, slipping away into the backseat and closing the door behind him. Min forced her jaw off of the ground to follow. As much as she wanted to flip him off and march herself back into her bed, no one disobeyed Juyeon, and Yeosang wasn't worth the consequences of that.

Kevin and Jennie could be easily thrown into this. She had more than herself to think about now. Her shaky hands buckled her seat belt, shooting daggers in his direction.

Where she usually would have shook the comment off, recent events had shortened her fuse. Severely.

That, and, if she admitted it to herself, being around pompous, spoiled brats who now picked apart her appearance everyday hadn't done wonders for her self-esteem. It was not enough to make her life a living hell. They also had control over every inch of it. What she wore, who she spoke to, what she could and could not say. She felt like a live-wire, sparking and wanting for the chance to ignite.

"What's your fucking problem?" She seethed openly, words doused in venom. She was pushing, hoping he'd push back.

He didn't give, but he didn't have to. The responding shrug and the incline of his head were answer enough. Even though he was still now, she was struck with the image of him whirling around, stare hard enough to break someone less hardened than her.

You. Always you.

He ran one of his hands down his face, the pad of his thumb soothing his cheek, instead of answering verbally. She almost wished he had. It would have been easier that way. Would have given her another thread to pick at even if it was abject hatred. Better directed at him than at herself.

Instead, her emotions flickered like a dying sun, temperamental as they always were. The anger and embarrassment ran headfirst into anxiety. Anxiety spilled over into self-condemnation. She fidgeted with her charm bracelet, jingling it once then three times.

This was going to be a long night.

"Asshole," she grumbled under her breath before resting her head against the window and watching the scenery fly by. It was not long before the car pulled to a stop outside of Emerald Gardens, Newhurst's largest and most frequented park. Similarly dressed people in black and white gowns and suits strolled along the sidewalks, disappearing beyond a curve in the tree-lined path.

Min did not hesitate to get out, forcing the door shut a little too hard for good measure. She heard the driver protest, a muffled exclamation escaping her ears.

It was petty. It was childish. The brief glare on Yeosang's face was worth it anyway. Let him be as uncomfortable as she was. It was only fair.

He climbed to his full height outside of the vehicle, stepping around it to follow her onto the path. She hadn't had too good a view of him in the dim lighting of her street. Here, under these much brighter and nicer streetlamps, she could see everything.