IV: bonding stares

"your beauty never really scare me"

- ghost

"excuse me, what..?"

he asked, confused at her statement.

"our peers hate.. you..? and that is because you look intimidating and that you're sitting next to... me..?"

"yes, that is accurate."

"but that doesn't make sense.."

"nothing makes sense nowadays, why the surprised look?"

he did indeed have a surprise look on his now frequently emotionless face. he has gotten comfortable with her company, though he doesn't know he can say the same to her.

"it merely baffles me that our classmates are this.. devoted to me...

"you use that word very lightly."

she mused as she leaned her body against the railing, the cool metal leaving a pleasant sensation on her skin, and saw him do the same.

"i do... but i don't see how they are afraid of a woman like you?"

"must be something to do with my.. eyes..."

she muttered, gently touching the side of her eye before she was surprised when he suddenly leaned closer and stared into her eyes. he looked curious and quite fascinated by the unique pattern of her pupils, and she was surprised and flushed at the sudden closure as she pushed him away.

"mind your manners..."

"i apologize.. though..."

he trailed as he rested his head on his fist and smiled at her, a smile that not once he showed to anyone else; all for her.

"i think your eyes are quite mesmerizing... they're like an alluring void.. drawing anyone fortunate enough to see it... and i can say that i'm quite lucky to see that void up close.."

she was surprised, baffled even. she has never heard of such words being spoken, all of those letters, syllables and words seem to come out from a book and yet he spoke them so naturally.

"i see... your compliments are much.. appreciated..."

disbelief washed over her as she took in his words. could he really be serious? she found herself unable to meet his gaze, diverting her eyes towards the ground, half-embarrassed and half-annoyed by his forwardness.

she raised her hand to her face, attempting in vain to hide the smile that was slowly creeping across her lips. soon, she felt she had no choice but to look back at him, revealing to him the smile she had been trying so hard to hide.

his gaze roamed over her face as if studying her, his eyes lingering on her eyes. He suddenly raised a brow.

"arlecchino, hm? it's a nice name, but a bit of a mouthful."

the phrase "a bit of a mouthful" struck him as humorous, and his lips curved upward in a small smile.

"i think the name arle suits you more... it's simple, yet beautiful. just like you."

he spoke casually, as if he were not flirting with her at all, but simply making an observation.

arlecchino felt a strange tingle go up her spine as he spoke, a feeling she had never experienced before.

His compliment left her utterly speechless. She glanced over at him, her cheeks growing warm, as if she were just now realizing the full implication of his words.

she cleared her throat nervously and tried to keep her face neutral.

"t-thank you,"

she whispered.

suddenly, she was incredibly aware of their close proximity, and she felt the urge to distance herself.

"No...he couldn't possibly be interested in me that way..."

she thought.

"well.. i'm glad you don't mind.."

"it's a mere nickname.. it's fine..."

and with each other's approval, their lips twirled upwards; turning into small smiles.