𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐨𝐧 𝐛𝐚𝐛𝐲

Start from the beginning

Rafe laid his hand against my back and then took his grandmother in for a hug. "How are you, nana?" He asked as he kissed the top of her head since he stood so much taller than the both of us. She hugged him back after taking her hands away from his chubby cheeks. "I'm just wonderful. I was just telling Isla how excited I am to be here today. You are dating such a wonderful girl." Margaret told him with an excited expression on her face as her blue eyes matched his own. I smiled widely at her and how she had spoken so highly of me. She had reminded me so much of Sarah, her own grandchild. Sarah and her had similar personalities that were fun, kind, loving, and genuine. They were almost like twins. "I know, huh? I think she's great." Rafe responded to her which had caused my smile to show my dimples that were embedded into my tan cheeks. His grandmother nodded her head and smacked his chest with gentleness. "Are you going to introduce me to Isla's parents by any chance?" His grandmother asked with her round eyes that reminded me of Sarah. I nodded my head and looked up at my boyfriend that stood with his other hand inside of the pocket of his slacks he wore.

He had worn a nice button up that fit around his muscular arms. The shirt was a surf design he got at the local Hurley shop nearby, the color was a white with a light blue print. He had worn a pair of khaki slacks with white converse that matched his shirt. He had done his hair nicely, his hair sat in front of his forehead with comfort after he made sure that he looked presentable. "Oh, yes I almost forgot." He responded to his grandmother as she had turned her head and stared at his hair. "And when are you gonna cut that hair?" She asked him in a playful tone and looked at me, her face growing with a smile knowing that she just liked to give her grandson a hard time. I smiled widely at her joke towards him and opened my mouth to speak. "I'll go get my parents really quick." I spoke to her before Rafe could make a smart-alec comment back at his grandmother. She nodded her head at me as I walked away from the two of them. My father and mother had been mingling with my boyfriend's step mother, Rose. Kaia, Wheezie, and Kristin's four kids ran around in the yard nearest to the dock that sat unused for the multiple months since the "death" of Ward.

Since that day that Ward showed up in South Carolina, he never spoke about it after that. We didn't talk about it alone and we didn't tell my father or mother. We knew that there was no possible way for Rose not to know, but we didn't want to repeat it to her. Rafe didn't care enough about his father to tell his step-mother even if she had known. Rafe was angry and held resentment towards his father because of the fact that he hit me. He caused trauma just by faking his death. He caused trauma to everyone in my friend group by the death of Sheriff Peterkin and the shooting of JJ. Thinking about JJ being shot, the blood covered all over my thighs and body, made me sick. Somedays, I had felt almost like I could still see some of his blood underneath my nails or all over my skin from trying to keep him awake while waiting for the ambulance. I tried not to think about the pain because it caused more damage to my body than anything else.

Approaching my parents and Rose, my father had turned to me with his eyebrows narrowed. "What's wrong sweetheart?" My father asked me as he took his hand away from the lower back of my mother. I shook my head and formed a loving smile at the three of them that stood in comfort of another. "I want you guys to meet Rafe's grandmother. She is very excited to meet you guys." I told my father in return to his question. My father nodded his head and glanced at my mother. "Nana Margaret is so sweet. She was talking about how lovely you truly are, Isla." Rose told me with a gentle tone forming in her voice. Nodding my head, I opened my mouth to speak. "Aww, she is very sweet." I responded to my boyfriend's step mother and glanced at her in her dark brown eyes that were full of life. Rose was so much of an opposite to Ward. She was sweeter, much kinder and less dirty than he had been. As I turned around to see where Margaret was, I saw them walking up towards me. I stared at Rafe and watched him hold onto his stable nana that meant a lot to him. I moved towards my parents, standing up straight while my dirty blonde hair blew through the breeze that came up from the ocean shore.