𝐝𝐚𝐝𝐝𝐲'𝐬 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥

"I wanna be defined by the things that I love

"I wanna be defined by the things that I love..."

December 15th, 2021.
OuterBanks, North Carolina.

𓇼 𓇼 𓇼 𓇼 𓇼

The cold hospital room formed goosebumps upon my tanned skin despite it being December in the OuterBanks. The ocean was cold but the sun was warm to an extent. The morning was coming to an end while I laid on the examination table. Nurses came in and out of my room as they prepared to give me an ultrasound that would find the gender of the baby. Rafe sat anxiously in the extra chair that was placed closest to the examination table. He laid his large hand against my arm that was covered with an oversized lemon drop colored sweater. He tucked strands of my curled hair behind my ear, smiling every once in a while to comfort me from all the anxiousness that rushed into my bloodstream — wondering what the gender of our child would be. Emotions overwhelmed me for the past day knowing that with my health conditions, anything could happen but I tried to be as optimistic as I could be. It was so heartwarming to be five months along, with four months left to keep forming a sweet baby that would be so loved. Proud of myself for being able to carry a child for as long as I have and kept the baby safe. Not only that, I was proud of my body for overcoming the health challenges I have and formed a beautiful baby with the love of my life.

Rafe was especially proud of me. He was proud of me for making the decision to keep the baby even though he was skeptical at first about the entire thing when we found out I was pregnant. He was proud of me for standing my ground towards him but also for growing a baby that he came to love more than anything else in the entire world. He was so enthralled knowing that he was going to be able to look after his own blood, and finally become the father that his own father wasn't to him. Rafe looked at me with anxiousness in his eyes even though he was excited. "Are you nervous?" He asked me with gentleness in his raspy voice. I nodded my head and placed my hand against my stomach that was rounded. Smiling, I felt the baby kick against the wall of my stomach while I laid my hand on top of the belly. "A little but the baby is kicking too." I glanced up at him and pulled my sweater up enough for him to see the small movement in my stomach. He glanced down at the bump upon my stomach and formed a small smirk across his attractive face.

"Sweet baby." He spoke as he pressed his lips against my stomach and then kissed the back of my hand. A knock formed on the cold wooden door in the office that we stayed in. The nurse opened the door and stuck her head through the crack before she walked into the room fully. She shut the door behind her with a large smile growing on her face. She turned the light off in the room to start the process of finding the gender of the baby, which was doing the ultrasound. "You know the process already. Are you nervous?" The nurse asked me with a smile growing upon her face. I nodded my head and saw her turn on the screen that would show the baby inside of my stomach. She placed the machine closer to me for Rafe and I to look at. "It'll all be good." She smiled to reassure me. Rafe rubbed his thumb against my hand and kissed the back of my hand once more. The nurse placed the cold gel against my stomach, then grasped ahold of the small device that would show the baby. I glanced down at my stomach to see the small baby moving around once again. Rafe smiled with the sweetest grin that made my heart pound harder than normal.