Chapter Eight | Advancing Forward

Chapter Eight
Advancing Forward

─── 。゚★: *. .* :. ───

May, 1992
It was a buggy spring day, typical Texas heat scorched the earth. And I had just gotten off the school bus, tears continuously streaming down my cheeks just as they had been the moment the people who I had assumed to be my friends had opened their mouths and begun spewing their true feelings in that bathroom. Turns out anyone will throw your feelings under the rug, if popularity is on the line. Sure, Amy I may have expected, since we were never very close, and same with Shauna and Brooke, but Tess? Polly? Those two I had known forever. I really made the stupid choice of being naive and assuming we were all a tight-knit friend group. Looks like they were tight-knit... just without me.
The hurtful comments and piercing laughs of the popular kids rang in my ears as I ran down main street all the way to my family's convenience store. I ran up the metal stairs on the side of the brick building and I opened the faded teal wooden door, a burst of cool air hitting me and causing my hair to stand on end.
My cries had called my mother into the kitchen, a usual worried expression painted on her face. I'll never forget her kneeling down and opening her arms without a word, before I walked over to her, trying to rub the snot and tears off of my cheeks.

"Oh honey... what's the matter?" her soft voice with that pinch of comforting southern twang felt like someone had wrapped me in a warm blanket, but not of the same warmth that the humidity from outside had wrapped me in. It was the kind of warmth that a nice cup of hot chocolate brought you on a cold winter's day. It was nice.
I sobbed into her shoulder, and I tried to make out how my friends were all so mean. My mom just listened and rubbed my back. I felt her soft hand make its way up to the back of my head, and the tears continued pouring, but more-so due to being overwhelmed with kindness than betrayal, now.

"Krissy-Kat, I am so sorry those girls were so awful to you.." my mom's voice melted on my ears like honey, I could feel my tears subside as I nuzzled my face into her chestnut curls. I sniffled.

"But...they were my friends..." my voice squeaked, as a couple more hot tears rolled out, she pulled me away by my arms, and I was met with a stern expression.
"Kristy, friends don't talk to friends that way."

─── 。゚★: *. .* :. ───

Friends don't talk to friends that way.

That sentence played in my head as I quietly collected myself and made my way into A Tent, hoping that I wouldn't draw attention to myself. Oh, no, I knew Iowa and I were never going to be friends. I was more so thinking about how I lashed out at Minnesota way earlier. I mean, it wasn't her fault she didn't like to enter the trenches that was A Tent's awfulness, I could understand that. And even after the way I spoke to her, she wasn't angry with me. I hate how I blended in with Iowa's cruelty in that moment, but I knew apologizing would fall on deaf ears seeing as how the words "I'm Sorry" most likely meant nothing to her at this point.
  As I approached the tents opening, I realized how deathly quiet it was inside. No lamps were lit, hell, I couldn't even hear any breathing. I pushed back the tent flap to see all the cots empty, and while very confused, I was glad I was all by myself. At least after the harsh encounter I had just had with Iowa, I didn't have to face any more of their nonsense for the night.

  Just as I was getting settled into my cot with my thoughts, I heard the tent flap open, and I spun up and around to see the one face I had actually been waiting to see tonight. Minnesota's fluffy space buns bounced as she walked towards her cot, and fell down onto the lumpy mattress. As I heard her sigh, I rolled over in my own cot to face hers and sat up.
Ugh, just as I thought. I thought to myself. Turned away, as always.
I got up and slowly approached Minnesota, and sat on the space on her cot, like she had mine before.
"Hey I-"
"If you wanna know where they are, they're doing group with Pendanski. In the dining hall." She talked over me, in her same old tone. I extended a hand and rested it on her arm.
"I wasn't going to ask about them." I said solemly, causing her to look over her shoulder, then at my hand, which I quickly pulled away.
She exhaled sharply out of her nose, before turning on her back, to face me.