"Bowtruckles," said Hermione. "They're tree-guardians, usually live in wand-trees."

"Five points for Gryffindor," said Professor Grubbly-Plank. "Yes, these are Bowtruckles, and as Miss Granger rightly says, they generally live in trees whose wood is of wand quality. Anybody know what they eat?"

"Woodlice," said Hermione promptly, which explained why the 'grains of brown rice' were moving. "But fairy eggs if they can get them."

"Good girl, take another five points. So, whenever you need leaves or wood from a tree in which a Bowtruckle lodges, it is wise to have a gift of woodlice ready to distract or placate it. They may not look dangerous, but if angered they will try to gouge at human eyes with their fingers, which, as you can see, are very sharp and not at all desirable near the eyeballs. So if you'd like to gather closer, take a few woodlice and a Bowtruckle — I have enough here for one between three — you can study them more closely. I want a sketch from each of you with all body-parts labelled by the end of the lesson."

The class surged forwards around the trestle table.

Layla was stuck in a group of three with Lavender and Parvati. They all squatted on the grass and attempted to persuade a Bowtruckle to remain still long enough for them to draw it.

By the time she had finished her drawing, Layla was pleased with the turn out. Lavender glanced at Layla's drawing, then at her own, and back at Layla's, before letting out a jealous humph.

When the bell echoed distantly over the grounds, Layla rolled up her Bowtruckle picture and marched off to Herbology.

The class traipsed across the vegetable patch. The sky still appeared unable to make up its mind whether it wanted to rain or not.

The door of the nearest greenhouse opened and some fourth-years spilled out of it, including Ginny.

"Hi, Lay," she said brightly as she passed. A few seconds later, Luna Lovegood emerged, trailing behind the rest of the class, a smudge of earth on her nose, and her hair tied in a knot on the top of her head. Luna was wearing what looked like a pair of orange radishes for earrings, a fact that Parvati and Lavender seemed to have noticed, as they were both giggling and pointing at her earlobes.

Luna gave them a withering look. Layla sighed and walked up to her.

"Ignore them. They are just jealous that they could never pull this look off."

"Thank you, Layla," said Luna, a bright smile appearing across her face. "You are very kind."

"I am when I want to be," said Layla with a shrug and a small smile. "Only to people who deserve it."

Luna smiled one last time before she flounced away, radishes swinging madly.

To nobody's surprise, Professor Sprout started their lesson by lecturing them about the importance of OWLs. Harry wished all the teachers would stop doing this; he was starting to get an anxious, twisted feeling in his stomach every time he remembered how much homework he had to do, a feeling that worsened dramatically when Professor Sprout gave them yet another essay at the end of class. Tired and smelling strongly of dragon dung, Professor Sprouts preferred type of fertiliser, the Gryffindors trooped back up to the castle an hour and a half later, none of them talking very much; it had been another long day.

As Layla had his first detention with Umbridge at six o'clock, he headed straight for the Great Hall without dropping off her bag in Gryffindor Tower. She simply grabbed a cupcake and left less than a minute after arriving, passing a confused Ginny, who was entering the Great Hall as Layla was leaving, and told her that she had detention with Umbridge.