Dex had to stare at Fitz, processing what he said.
"Fitz. Do you want to break up with me?" Dex asked.
Fitz gulped again and he ran his fingers through his hair.
"I have to break up with you." Fitz stated.
"I can't... we can't be together."
Dex felt a heavy, fiery emotion in his chest.
"So, you're just gonna give up?" Dex asked, digging his nails into his palms.
"You're not going to fight for us?!"
"I have to-!" Fitz began.
"No, you don't have to do anything!" Dex snapped back.
"You shouldn't listen to your dad because you have this stupid desire to make him proud! You should listen to your heart and fight for this, for us! Not just throw it all away because your fucking judgemental dad can't take another hit on his precious fucking name and reputation-!"
"Do NOT speak so rudely about my father!" Fitz snarled.

Dex scoffed as he stared at Fitz. His heart broke as he seen the anger in Fitz's eyes.
"Tell me one thing." Dex said, taking a deep breath.
"What matters most to you, Fitz?"
Fitz's breath hitched and he felt his heart drop and his chest felt heavy. Dex stared directly into Fitz's eyes and Fitz averted his gaze to the ground, clenching his hands into fists.
"It's a simple fucking question, Fitz!" Dex snapped.
"My reputation is what matters most!" Fitz snapped back, not even looking at Dex.

A silence overcame the two boys.

Dex's breath hitched and he felt his eyes water again. He took a deep breath as he shook his head, staring at the ground.
"Fine." Dex shrugged.
"To ensure your reputation won't crumble, or crashes, or burns, I will no longer contact you nor speak to you, seeing as my image isn't as 'noble' as yours."
Fitz sucked in a breath.
"Dex, we can still be friends-" Fitz began, finally looking at Dex.
Fitz brought his hand out, reaching for Dex's hand.
Dex took a step back and scoffed at Fitz.
"Goodbye, Fitz." Dex said, looking at Fitz with a cold glare.
Fitz stared back at Dex. With the way the Technopath was looking at him, he knew there was no point in trying to convince Dex that they could still hang out.
"...Bye, Dex." Fitz mumbled, taking a step back and digging in his pocket for his home crystal.

Dex quickly turned away and he didn't look back as he entered his home.
As soon as Dex entered the house, he slammed the door shut and he felt the tears instantly stream down his cheeks. He sniffled and cried, bringing his arm to his face to try and dry his tears, but they just wouldn't stop coming down. He sunk to floor, bringing his hands to his eyes and desperately trying to stop the tears.

"Dex, honey-?"
Dex's breath hitched and he gulped as he looked up to see his mother and dad standing in front of him, frowning at him.
"I- Fitz-" Dex attempted to speak.
Dex couldn't help but hiccup, his ability to speak was gone due to the amount of tears that poured out and the pain he felt.
"Oh, sweetheart..." Juline sighed out, sitting down next to Dex and wrapping her arm around him.
Dex instantly hid his face into his mother's shoulder and cried into it.
Kesler frowned and he ran his fingers through his hair.
"I'll make some hot chocolate, hmm? Once you've calmed down, you can tell us what happened..." Kesler said, crouching down and ruffling Dex's hair.
"Only if you want to." Juline added, kissing Dex's head.
Dex didn't respond, he just cried harder into his mother's shoulder.

Kesler and Juline stared at each other before Juline went back to comforting Dex and Kesler got back up to go into the kitchen to make a cup of hot chocolate for Dex.

~~~~~

Fitz made it back home. He ran his fingers through his hair as he entered his room and shut the door. He let out a shaky breath as he leaned against the door and sunk down to the floor.

"Why are you such an idiot?"
Fitz let out a quiet gasp as he looked up to see Biana standing in front of him.
Biana was glaring at Fitz with tears in her eyes.
"Why didn't you just- I don't know, tell him that you were happy with Dex?" Biana asked.
Fitz felt his eyes water up and he hid his face in his hands.
"Biana, do you honestly think he'd change his mind if I told him I was happy?" Fitz scowled.
"Maybe?! I don't know- I just...I don't understand how you could throw away your relationship for the sake of not ruining the Vacker name!" Biana snapped, her voice breaking.
"Biana, you don't understand!" Fitz snapped, looking up at Biana.
"I- fuck..."

Fitz sighed out and he frowned, running his fingers through his hair.
"...I don't need your judgement right now." Fitz mumbled.
Biana frowned and she sighed as she sat down next to Fitz.
"Fine, I'll quit it for tonight. But only because you're suffering through a stupid break-up." Biana mumbled, resting her head on Fitz's shoulder.
Fitz rested his head on Biana's, sighing out softly.
They stayed silent and Fitz stared at the ring around his finger, fiddling with it. He stared at the teal crystal, and god, he felt like breaking down.

What was Fitz going to do now?

---------------------------------------------------------

Word count: 1525

A/N: You're going to hate me, but this is the last chapter of 'Reputations Matter Most'. 
Bet you expected a happy ending, or more chapters to this, but nope! This is it.
I hope you're heartbroken <3

Anyways! Let's see how many words this fanfic has a total of!
The total word count of the fanfic is about...
54,813 words!! 

Uh, yeah, I guess that's all for now! Hope you've enjoyed reading this fanfic! Especially with this cheerful ending, ahahahaha... 😅