Chapter Seven: The Greyjoy Civil War

Start bij het begin

"Not if our captains defy my orders, abandon their posts, and sacrifice our men on foolish mission," Balon spat at Yara, he blamed her for what had happened to his hold on the North and how it had all worked out. 

Yara had risked it all for nothing in his mind, they would have been stronger if she had not done as she had and ridden on Winterfell. 

"I won't apologize for trying to rescue Theon," Yara replied knowing exactly what he was thinking of, even now that he was dead she wished she'd been able to save him from the fate that had befallen him.

"Then where is he?" Balon snarled knowing that if Yara had not wasted their resources then the answer would have been simple, Theon had died a fool and even Yara's failed to rescue him had not changed the boy's fate. 

"Where is your kingdom? We took those castles because the northerners marched off to war. That war is over. The last time we provoked them too far, I watched from that window as they breached our walls and knocked down our towers. I lost two brothers that day," Yara spat shaking her head. 

She refused to allow her father to punish her for his own failings as a leader, she had done what she could and she would never apologise for trying to spare her mother from burying another child. 

Balon stood from his seat and moved towards Yara who did not backdown, she was his heir afterall and she refused to be bullied by him into silence for something that she did not believe in. 

"And I lost three sons. The War of the Five Kings, they call it. Well, two of them are dead, the other two spite the kingdom between them and I remain. When you rule the Iron Islands, you can wage all the peace you want. But for now, shut your mouth and obey or I will make another heir who will," Balon spat at Yara. 

The two of them staring at one another when the door to the chamber opened and Alannys stepped inside having heard the commotion from down the hall. 

Her eyes looked between her husband and daughter, her hands clasped before her as she moved the prayer beads through her fingers; she often found herself in this position these days.

"I heard yelling," Alannys stated calmly, she was the person to bring peace to their fractured family and she knew that Balon grieved the death of their sons just as much as she did. 

He wanted to leave a grand legacy to Yara, one where it would have been worth the losses of her brothers but even Alannys had to question her husband continued actions when they had no more to lose. 

Balon scoffed before storming out of the room, his supper left to go cold while Yara let out a sigh and turned to her mother; she just wished that her father could see what damage he was causing. 

The men were displeased with him, they whispered about his desire for lands they could not hold especially with how strong the North was under the rule of King Robb and Queen Sanira.

***

Making his way out into the storm that raged around Pyke Castle, Balon Greyjoy could not help but ponder the situation that he currently found himself in with the death of his youngest son and heir. 

When Yara had broken the news to him of Theon's death, she spared him the details even if he knew that something more had occurred only that Theon was not Theon anymore after his time with the Bolton bastard. 

The boy had died of his injuries according to Yara, he had been comfortable in his death and the Starks had given him an honourable send-off that no one could argue against. 

Lightning lit up the sky as he stepped out onto the unsteady bridge, his hands resting upon the ropes as he moved into the storm. 

The rain was pouring down upon him as he reached the middle of the bridge between the two tower of Pyke Castle, Balon leaning upon the ropes as he looked down at the ocean below him.