xxxi.

STYLE ── thirty-one

"𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐦𝐞, 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐞, 𝐭𝐨𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐦𝐞, 𝐡𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐲, 𝐛𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐝𝐢𝐝"— cinnamon girl, lana del rey

— cinnamon girl, lana del rey

Juliette's relationship with Carlos was like a river. It was always changing, sometimes it was peaceful and easy in a way that made her feel safe, while others were like that crystal blue water that made them feel like diving head first. Sometimes shaken, but in all forms, water, and she knew that it wouldn't change.

In other words, their relationship was everything that her parents' relationship wasn't. Therefor, more than Juliette could've asked for. It wasn't fragile or indifferent, no. From the moment they finally got back together, Carlos always made sure to make her feel loved, safe and taken care of.

It wasn't one sided either. Sometimes, Juliette would look at Carlos and feel like her heart could explode with so much joy. It'd happen at the most random times— while he was cooking, when he was watching football, while he was driving with a hand on her thigh or while they were making love.

After two months, they were better than ever and for the first time Juliette didn't feel like it was only a matter of time before everything went wrong.

It started unpredictably at first and slowly build up the realization inside Juliette. When Carlos had to leave to Italy a couple of days that week, her appointment with the doctor arrived and Juliette secured Carlos that she'd be fine by herself. During that month she'd been taking care of herself correctly and was pretty sure that she was moving past her E.D.

When the doctor told Juliette she was finally doing okay and wouldn't have to take any more medicines anymore, she was extremely grateful and ready to leave, after promising to keep eating correctly and going to psychologist's appointments to avoid another crisis. But with that also came a series of recommendations and some restrictions.

After some exams, Juliette found out she'd have complications with getting pregnant.

When Carlos came back to their place and asked what was wrong, she'd completely broken down on their bed until she felt like there's no tears left to cry. Juliette had never imagined herself having children so early, but now that she had a piece of what a family felt like, she couldn't stop thinking about it and how much had been taken away from her.

"A penny for a thought?" Carlos announced his arrival at the living room as he tried to lighten up the mood in the morning and sat by her side on the couch.

Carlos was always trying to make Juliette the most comfortable as possible, so he could only imagine how tired she must be of being constantly checked on. That's why they'd always ask a penny for a thought whenever they wanted to check on each other— making it look less like an obligation and more like genuine worry.