THIRTY-EIGHT: Sano Manjiro (Five)

Start from the beginning

Just as she was about to make a comeback, the waitress returned to our table carrying a tray. Sneaking a glance at the waitress, I imagined Y/N serving us our orders and couldn't restrain myself from smiling inwardly. It would be nice if Y/N was here to celebrate Emma's birthday together.

"Your orders are now complete. Please enjoy your desserts!♡" the waitress told us in a sugary voice and then, walked off to attend to another awaiting customer.

"This looks so delicious!" Emma exclaimed jovially, her face beaming. Her attention was now fixated on the dessert before her and took a picture of it with her phone. Shortly after, she scooped a spoonful of her vanilla sundae and brought it directly into my mouth, feeding me. "Say 'ah'~!♡"

The sweetness of the dessert left a satisfying aftertaste on my palate. "Yummy!"

Emma chuckled. "Right? You see, I still know what you like," she chirped.

My mini-date with my sister was, however, soon interrupted by Hina-chan's sudden appearance who seemed to have misunderstood the two of us about something. And little by little, more people came over to us including Ken-chin and Y/N. I even noticed Takemitchy crying in large tears as if he was suffering from impending doom and groveling on his feet, confusing me with his actions. I still had no idea what the fuss was all about not until Ken-chin teased me about taking out my younger sister for a birthday treat did everyone share this funny look on their faces.

Ken-chin then put a pink fluffy teddy bear on top of Emma's head that he got from the claw machine back at the arcade and greeted her with a happy birthday. He then took his leave just as quickly as he arrived. Y/N also remembered to give Emma her gift which was a pair of cute earrings. This caused Emma to be extremely touched and was really appreciative of their presents. Seeing my sister overjoyed made me happy for her as well.

It was almost twilight when I came by Y/N's workplace after I walked Emma back home. I waited for her in front of the cafe just like our usual routine until she was done with her shift.

The two of us walked together down the road clasping each other's hands and having our little chitchat. It was mostly about the events from earlier and how happy Emma was while accepting their birthday gifts. The cold breeze of Winter swept through us. At the corner of my eye, I saw Y/N's petite body shiver and move an inch closer to me for warmth. I thought of putting our laced hands into my front pocket to provide a bit of heat for the both of us.

"Will this do?"

"Mm, yeah. It's warm."

We continued our previous conversation until our topic led to Ken-chin. Y/N kept mentioning him in a rather fleeting tone and I couldn't help but grimace. An inexplicable spurt of jealousy rose through my heart and bore a sudden feeling of possessiveness toward her. It was the same odd sensation I had every time she was talking nonstop about other boys like Takemitchy, and also Baji.

Or perhaps, it was a sense of fear.

It was my fear of losing Y/N to another boy that I did not forbear from questioning her true feelings for me. What if she happened to fall in love with someone else instead of me? This inane probability made me feel aggrieved and lose my sense of rationale with that sheer thought.

And I did not like it at all. I am Sano Manjiro, the Invincible Mikey. I should fear nothing. Yet with this girl, I felt vulnerable and all my defenses to lower. Y/N was my bottom line. She was the weakness I had to safeguard with everything in my power. She was all that mattered to me.

For me, she was my life.

I attempted to confront Y/N and openly tell her my discomfort about her mentioning other males. I wanted her to just look at me and be the only boy she would fall in love with. No one else. I might sound selfish, but it cannot be helped. Love could make you feel greedy, after all.