Chapter 16: A Sentimental Captain

Start from the beginning

"Cahaya-"

"And also, what do you mean I felt left out?" He asked, eyes wide with exaggerated confusion. An emotion he finds difficult expressing since he rarely felt that way, "That was never the case! In fact, I'll prove it to you by enrolling in another school where you guys aren't in!"

"Wait- what?!" Tanah had stood up from his seat, dumbfounded, "Cahaya- mom and dad won't like us separated!"

"Please, you guys- out there doing what you need to do, while I do my own thing -is nothing new." He said with an eyeroll, "Anyway, there's this private school I've been eyeing on since I got here. It's pretty advanced and I thought you'd be happier I'm joining in on this let's-quit-TAPOPS wagon!"

"Cahaya, please." Taufan stood up and tried approaching him, "We weren't also aware about this decision and know what it's like to suddenly quit like this- but if you think about it... maybe it's about time we resign for now... and try again in the future?"

What an absurd train of thought. Do they really think their lack of experience in the near future would save them a spot to rejoin TAPOPS whenever they want to? 

They're naivety was remarkable.

"Sorry... but I wasn't born a quitter." He said haughtily before turning and heading back to the stairs, "I'll eat later after I study for my Entrance Exam."

"Cahaya wait-"

He ignored Tanah and stomped his way up the stairs, fists clenched in frustration and heart heavy with disappointment and anger.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

A knock on the door snapped him out from his reading and he looked back at the door out of reflex.

To his surprise it was Tok Aba, carrying a tray of food and water.

"Are you hungry?"

He immediately felt a wave of shame for the behavior he had shown earlier in front of their only caretaker who had been nothing but warm and open since they stepped foot in his doorstep.

"Atok..." He quickly stood up from his desk in unease, "I... I'm sorry about earlier... I just-"

"Were you serious about changing schools?" The elder asked patiently as he placed his food on his desk.

"I... yes?"

"And you're not doing this to punish your brothers?"

He felt his face flush, "It's a prestigious school that focuses on science and research. I think I'll benefit from it once I start applying for college-"

"Cahaya."

He sighed as Tok Aba sat down on his bed and gestured him to sit next to him.

"If it is what you truly want, then I will support you, no matter what." He said gently, "But if you're doing this just to get back to your brothers, then I'm worried that you might end up regretting this in the near future where there'll be no turning back."

"I just... it's unfair, Atok!" He exclaimed, "My whole time in TAPOPS I've been on the sidelines! And when I finally got to help them... they decided we would stop the whole thing without even talking about it to us!"