Chapter 115: I'll Drop You Off Since It's On My Way.

Beginne am Anfang

"Oh! That's mine."

Nan Zhi abruptly sat up, relieved it was over.

"Wait, let me handle it." Hu Wen quickly intervened, noting Nan Zhi's evident intention to remove the IV.

After Nan Zhi hesitated and paused, Hu Wen took a cotton swab from the room's table. With a gentle touch, he pressed down on the spot where the needle entered the vein, then carefully withdrew it.

Nan Zhi: .............?

It's not like he's afraid of pain.

"I can press it myself." When Nan Zhi took the cotton swab from Hu Wen's hand, their fingertips brushed against each other, Nan Zhi's feeling notably cooler.

"Ahem... press on it a bit longer."

"Alright, thank you, Dr. Hu."

Nan Zhi was eager to get home. Even if he couldn't sleep beside Lin Yun Jian tonight, he was anxious to see his young alpha.

This being the first time he'd stayed up so late, Lin Yun Jian would likely be fast asleep. Nan Zhi wondered if he might catch a glimpse of him sleeping soundly and if the little one would kick off the covers.

"Did you drive here?"

"Huh?"

Nan Zhi was momentarily befuddled by Hu Wen's question. He hadn't expected Hu Wen to follow him out, let alone ask such an unexpected question.

"No... I didn't. Why do you ask?" Nan Zhi replied, a tad confused.

"Did your alpha come to pick you up?" Hu Wen pressed on.

The grip Nan Zhi had on the cotton swab loosened, and a small drop of blood oozed from the needle site.

His expression stiffened, his gaze somewhat unfocused, yet he remained turned towards Hu Wen, motionless.

Hu Wen caught a fleeting hint of pain in Nan Zhi's eyes. Was it something he said that hurt the omega before him?

Or was it because he mentioned his alpha?

It seems that the last time, the omega was alone at the hospital with the young alpha.

"Let me drive you home. It's challenging to hail a cab at this hour," Hu Wen suggested, attempting to change the subject.

"There's no need. There are plenty of cars at the hospital entrance," Nan Zhi responded, gathering his composure to decline the offer.

"It's late, and it could be risky for an omega like you. I happen to be heading in the same direction. Besides, I'm friends with your brother, and I mean no harm."

Hu Wen's words were persuasive. Given his connection with Nan Yi, looking out for his younger brother seemed like a natural gesture.

Somewhat taken aback, Nan Zhi said, "But Dr. Hu... I haven't even told you where I live..."

"Uh... I'll be going all around A city on my way home, so wherever you live, it'll be on my route."

Nan Zhi: ........?

"It's better if I don't impose."

"It's no trouble at all. Let's go," Hu Wen asserted, leaving no room for refusal.

Nan Zhi: ............

"In that case... thank you, Dr. Hu."

Nan Zhi had a generally favorable impression of Hu Wen, perhaps because of the little cake he'd once brought for Jian Jian.

Or maybe because he was a friend of Nan Yi.

In his heart, this doctor, whom he had met only a couple of times, was a good man.

"It's no inconvenience at all. I'm headed that way."

Nan Zhi: .................

Aside from being a bit naive, he's a good man.

The car moved in silence, so quiet that only the sound of the wind was audible.

Nan Zhi leaned his head against the closed car window, watching the lights that passed by.

Hu Wen slightly turned his head towards the window, his eyes catching a glimpse of the handsome omega's profile - the tightly pursed lips, delicate nose, slightly curled eyelashes, and eyes filled with a sense of melancholy.

From the moment he first saw the omega next door, a deep melancholy was ever-present in his eyes.

Why does such a beautiful omega harbor such a somber mood? Could it be due to his elusive alpha?

What kind of alpha would heartlessly let their sick omega go to the hospital alone?

If I had such a lovely and beautiful omega, I would surely...

"Tsk."

Hu Wen chastised himself for harboring inappropriate thoughts.

"Young Master, we've arrived." The car came to a stop, his words almost drowned by the noise.

"Ah! Thank you."

Nan Zhi, still lost in thought, hurriedly got out of the car, followed closely by Hu Wen who also exited the vehicle.

He remained silent, merely casting a desolate gaze at the aged walls ahead, marred by time, and the rusted iron gate.

The ground too was scattered with withered, yellow leaves. This place, just like the omega before him, exuded an overwhelming melancholy.

Hu Wen slightly furrowed his brows, surprised that the younger brother of Granny He would live in such an old and decrepit place. Was his alpha impoverished?

"Thank you for driving me home tonight. It's late, so I won't keep you for tea."

Standing before Hu Wen, Nan Zhi had to tilt his head up slightly to meet his gaze.