chapter nine

The train ride would take a day, that's what Cassia was told. Apparently, District Twelve was a long way out. Cassia never paid much thought to twelve, she knew it was mining and she knew the people there lived in poverty. So, she made it her mission to not only check on the lives of the children in the group home, but of the children generally in the district. She knew they hated her, but hopefully some would give her some information she could use to better their lives.

The sights outside her window intrigued her, they passed through several districts along the way but she also saw miles of open land, untouched by people, separating the districts. Isolating them. Food was served to her at every meal time, she also tried to complete her school work. Most of it she was able to do, but some of it required science equipment so that would have to wait until her return to the Capitol. Credence had cried when she left, he both feared what could happen to her out in the 'dangerous districts' and said he'd miss her. Truthfully, Cassia would miss him too. He was everything to her. Her friends had all seemed shocked at the news she wouldn't be in school, she hadn't filled them in on the entire truth. They knew she was going away, just not where or why....

"Miss Snow, I suggest you retire to your room. By morning, we won't be far out" Priscilla smiled, Cassia had almost forgotten that the elder woman was here. Priscilla's hair wasn't green anymore, it was black and her usual extended eyelashes looked more natural. Trying not to stand out, that's what Cassia thought.

"Okay, good night Priscilla" she smiled, walking out through the train, Priscilla bid her goodnight before she entered her own room.

That night, Cassia was consumed with thoughts of her upcoming adventure. But then, thoughts someone filled her mind. Finnick Odair. He just couldn't leave her alone, he just had to worm his way into her brain. Morning. Noon. And night. Everytime she thought she'd escaped, he just haunted her even more. But each time she thought of him, she longed to see him again. They weren't even friends, she told herself. They were acquaintances. Friends of circumstance at best, so there was no reason he should be consuming her like this.

"Good morning!" Cassia jolted awake as Priscilla's booming voice filled her room, she sat up and rubbed her eyes, scanning the room for the danger that she knew wasn't present. "Once you've eaten breakfast we will arrive in twelve!" Cassia nodded slightly, she'd need to opt for the most casual clothes she could find. "Once we arrive, the mayor will meet us and give a you a brief tour of the district before we head to the children's home. Lunch will then be served in his house and you will be shown the market square after, and then you will return to the train to be in eleven tomorrow" she nodded, Priscilla then turned and left the room. Cassia sighed and walked over to the closet, compared to her one at home, it was tiny. She chose to wear a pair of jeans, a shirt, leather jacket and heeled boots. It was simple and hopefully wouldn't make her stand out too much.

The breakfast was decent, toast, bacon and eggs. They also served hot chocolate, Cassia pondered the day ahead as she ate, slightly worried about how the district would receive her presence. She'd only met Haymitch Abernathy from twelve. No one else, and the time she'd met him he had made some slurred comment about her grandfather before being escorted off, so she guessed he didn't like her family very much. And she didn't blame him.

"Miss Snow, are you ready?" Priscilla asked, Cassia nodded, standing up and walking over to the doors. Priscilla stood behind her, Peacekeepers surrounded her. The teenager stepped off the train and descended the steps.

"Miss Snow, it's a pleasure to have you here" The Mayor smiled, he was a middle aged man who Cassia thought looked exceptionally ordinary, "I'm Mayor Undersea and I thought we could begin your visit with short tour of the district, before we visit the children's home" she nodded,