Chapter 4 - Keep You Lost In the Smoke and Debris

Start from the beginning

"Got any family anywhere? You're a bit young for an Inquisitor."

"Why does it matter?" Leia asks, keeping her expression smooth.

"Just curious," she replies, shrugging, "You're too young to have been a Jedi. Unless the Sith specially kidnapped you from your crib at the Temple."

She gives her an odd look.

"What?" Ventress defends, "Ever wondered what they did with all the babies there? I'd have thought there'd be a lot more baby Inquisitors running around then there are."

Leia never has wondered actually and doesn't know that she really wants to. "My mother died when I was born," Leia replies, carefully weighing how much she says, "Most of who I'd consider my family are adopted." Isn't much, but Leia can't offer her very much, anyway. She doesn't need to know more.

"Hmm," she offers very descriptively.

"Do... you have a family anywhere?" Leia can't help asking. Though, why would anyone choose to be a lonely bounty hunter if they did?

Ventress eyes her. "No."

She doesn't miss the flare of grief from Ventress, even if it's something long buried, like she's grown so accustomed to it. It sounds incredibly lonely. Maybe that's why she hasn't left yet.

"You can stay around if you want," Leia offers, even if Ventress already seems to have made up her mind, and so far has proved herself loyal.

"That was the plan," Ventress replies flippantly, though Leia thinks she did catch the real reason for the offer, "Who else is gonna keep an eye on you when your master's not around?"

"Me?" Leia repeats, "I have way too many babysitters already." At least, if everyone in Clone Force 99 counts.

"Then it sounds like Skywalker might appreciate my additional efforts for once," she drawls, and Leia huffs.

"Fine. Let yourself believe that." Because really, it's Leia who's keeping an eye on her.

"Oh, I will. Want to go over that holomap again for your next babysitting session?"

Leia's this close to rolling her eyes at her. Or maybe sticking her tongue out, but that would prove Ventress' point. "Sure."

***

"Why did you leave? Where were you when I needed you?"

"I made a choice. I couldn't stay."

"You were selfish. You abandoned me. You failed. Do you know what I have become?"

It's a figment of her own imagination, Ahsoka knows, because Anakin would never talk to her like that, even if he'd have every right to. She left him, and she couldn't stay in the Order after what happened, but that doesn't make the fact that she left him hurt any less.

It wasn't something she could help – things had gone too far, and she knows Anakin would never hold that against her, but that doesn't mean her guilt will go away.

She left him, and this is what happened in her absence. Anakin needed someone, and she could have helped him. She didn't though.

She should have, and he's gone now, Fallen because of it.

Maybe it's not because of her, exactly, but it certainly feels like it. He's with the Sith, fighting against her, and Ahsoka can't imagine a reality where that happens, but... it's the truth. It's happening, right now, and she'll have to fight him eventually.

She came to the Lothal Temple with Kanan and Ezra, mostly for guidance and some way to find a shred of calm in times like these, but she certainly hasn't found any of that yet. Anakin is a Sith, and she has no idea what to do.