Chapter 99: Yi Yi's Return to the Hospital

Начните с самого начала

Standing before the closed door, Nan Yi found himself in a dilemma, torn between knocking and leaving.

"Madam He, why are you standing here?"

Hu Wen, holding a finely crafted small box, looked puzzled as he stood behind Nan Yi.

His voice wasn't particularly loud, but it startled Nan Yi nonetheless.

"I... I was just..."

"Are you here to see your brother Nan Zhi? Why didn't you knock?"

Hu Wen is a man of action. Before he finished his sentence, he had already knocked on the room's door.

Nan Yi: ............

Perhaps it's for the best; it saves him from lingering in hesitation.

Suppressing the urge to leave, Nan Yi feigned composure, standing coolly behind Hu Wen.

"Is it Dr. Liu?"

The door swung open to reveal an omega, hand still on the doorknob, frozen in place.

With a mix of surprise, confusion, and disbelief, his gaze fell behind Hu Wen.

Hu Wen lowered his eyes slightly, fixating on the omega's slightly curled lashes, the tip of his nose, and his slightly parted rosy lips.

It felt a bit warm, and his mouth was getting dry.

"Isn't only Dr. Liu allowed in?"

With his signature humorous tone, Hu Wen snapped the daydreaming omega back to reality.

Without uttering a word, Nan Zhi stepped back into the room, making way for the two to enter.

Hu Wen strolled in nonchalantly, with Nan Yi following somewhat awkwardly behind.

Nan Zhi's gaze settled on He Si Yi in Nan Yi's arms.

The atmosphere was palpable with an awkward tension.

"Daddy..."

Lin Yun Jian, lying on the bed, reached out towards Nan Zhi. As Nan Zhi approached, his eyes shifted back to Nan Yi's face.

Two identical faces; indeed a curious sight for a one-year-old child.

"What's the little guy's name?" Hu Wen asked casually, sitting down and focusing on the young alpha on the bed.

"Lin Yun Jian."

Nan Zhi cradled Lin Yun Jian in his arms, turning his gaze to Nan Yi who was still standing off to the side.

"Please, have a seat."

There were no spare chairs in the room, so Nan Yi took a seat on the bed opposite Nan Zhi.

The child in his arms, He Si Yi, glanced curiously between the adults and Lin Yun Jian.

"Daddy... little sis... sis..."

Lin Yun Jian excitedly pointed at the baby nestled in Nan Yi's embrace.

"Jian Jian..."

"Would you like to touch her?" Nan Yi offered, bringing He Si Yi closer to Nan Zhi and Lin Yun Jian.

Lin Yun Jian eagerly stretched out his little hand, grasping He Si Yi's chubby fingers.

"Sis... sis."

"Gentle touches, Jian Jian."

Nan Zhi reminded softly. The little alpha nodded vigorously without turning his head, clearly excited.

The once awkward atmosphere lightened slightly thanks to the two little ones.

Hu Wen, previously overlooked, watched with amusement, his gaze shifting from the adorable pair to Nan Zhi's face.

The smiling, tender-hearted omega was truly a delight to behold.

The exquisite box Hu Wen held was opened to reveal a petite cake—mostly sponge with a modest amount of cream.

Lin Yun Jian, who was gently poking He Si Yi's soft cheek, didn't notice the cake at first.

Nan Yi, however, caught sight of the small treat immediately.

Nan Yi: ?

"On my way back from dinner, I passed by a bakery and thought your little alpha might enjoy this."

Every gaze in the room converged on the cake that Hu Wen held. Lin Yun Jian's eyes lit up, fixated on the dessert.

Nan Zhi frowned slightly, "Thank you, Dr. Hu, but Dr. Liu mentioned Yun Jian..."

"It's low in sugar. A small piece won't be a problem. I'm a doctor; I know what I'm doing."

Nan Zhi remained a bit apprehensive, but facing Lin Yun Jian's eager eyes, he felt torn. "Alright, just this once. Thank you, Dr. Hu."

"It's no trouble at all, just something I picked up on the way."

As Nan Zhi took the cake, Lin Yun Jian didn't reach for it; one of his hands still held onto He Si Yi's. Using a small spoon, Nan Zhi scooped a piece towards his mouth.

Lin Yun Jian swallowed hard, not eating immediately. Instead, with his free hand, he pointed at He Si Yi, who was now lying beside Nan Yi.

"Ah... Ah... sis..." Simplistically speaking, Lin Yun Jian hadn't yet learned to say, 'Let sister eat first.'

"The baby's too young for cake, Yun Jian. This one's for you," Nan Yi gently cooed, trying to reassure Nan Zhi's little alpha.

The hand holding the spoon hesitated upon hearing Nan Yi's words.

Remarkably, he didn't mind Lin Yun Jian calling He Si Yi 'little brother.'

Lost in thought, Nan Zhi didn't feed the eager boy, so Lin Yun Jian leaned over to take a bite himself.

Before He Yu Shen returned home from work, Nan Yi and He Si Yi had already left.

Without delving too much into what transpired between Nan Zhi and Lin Qiu Wu, Nan Zhi, holding Lin Yun Jian, escorted him to the hospital's main entrance.

The two walked a short distance in silence, with Nan Zhi trailing behind him, reminiscent of their younger days.

"Brother, don't visit tomorrow. I'll be discharged."

Those were the words Nan Zhi shared before parting.

In the living room, holding Xiao Bao, memories of Nan Zhi's words at the hospital surfaced in Nan Yi's mind. He muttered defensively, "I never said I wanted to visit him."