Chapter 97: The Relationship Between Nan Zhi and Lin Qiu

Start from the beginning

"I want to see him."

He Yu Shen remained silent, his face somewhat grave.

Nan Zhi didn't press further. He knew Nan Yi would come to see him.

His elder brother always had a soft spot, after all.

"You're behind Nan Zhai Min's business dealings, aren't you?"

At the mention of Nan Zhai Min, He Yu Shen's brow furrowed in distaste.

Hu Wen, standing behind He Yu Shen, was utterly confused.

Nan Yi hadn't arrived, and the room was immersed in silence. Hu Wen was starving but was eager to witness what would transpire, so he curbed his hunger, waiting for Nan Yi to arrive at the hospital.

Before seeing anyone, he heard the hurried footsteps in the corridor. He Yu Shen turned around, stopping the incoming figure.

"Slow down."

Nan Yi brushed aside his concern. His gaze fixated on Nan Zhi and the young Alpha, standing rooted to the spot, as if his feet were weighed down and he couldn't move forward.

Nan Zhi, on the other hand, seemed more composed, lifting his eyes to meet Nan Yi's gaze.

"You... With Lin Qiu Wu... When did this happen?"

At his words, Nan Zhi visibly flinched, his eyes shimmering faintly, lips slightly pursed.

His voice hoarse, he said, "Let's talk privately. As for the house, I'll give it to you."

He Yu Shen, who had been gently holding Nan Yi's hand, frowned slightly more, "So be it."

Nan Yi gently tapped He Yu Shen's arm, "You should leave first."

The Alpha frowned in displeasure but couldn't really refuse. His cold eyes glanced at Nan Zhi, then turned to Nan Yi with a resigned look, "I'll wait for you outside. If he says anything out of line, tell me."

"Alright."

After He Yu Shen and Hu Wen left the room, Nan Yi closed the door that a certain Alpha had intentionally left ajar. Then, he quietly locked eyes with Nan Zhi.

"Ask. What do you want to know?"

Surprisingly, Nan Zhi's tone was calm and lacked any animosity.

Nan Yi took a moment, trying to gather his thoughts. There was so much he wanted to know that he didn't know where to start.

"The property deed is in the bag on the table. Take it."

True enough, there was a small black bag on the table. Nan Yi hesitated before picking it up to inspect its contents. Inside was the deed, but now it bore his name as the owner.

He hadn't expected Nan Zhi to be so generous. Holding the deed, Nan Yi felt slightly dazed.

"If there's nothing else, you can leave. Close the door behind you."

"Daddy?" A voice squeaked in childlike innocence.

The young Alpha on the bed looked up from his picture book, a small furrow forming between his brows in confusion. He glanced back and forth between Nan Yi and Nan Zhi.

"He's not Daddy. I am," Nan Zhi said with a hint of amusement, directing the young Alpha's attention to himself.

"Was Lin Qiu Wu... good to you? How long were you two together?"

This simple inquiry from Nan Yi felt like a gesture of genuine concern.

An overwhelming sadness washed over Nan Zhi, reddening his eyes, but he didn't shed a tear.

Nan Yi continued to gaze at him, seeing in Nan Zhi's face a mirror reflection of his own, both silent and mournful.

Before the man seated by the bed could respond, Nan Yi had already discerned the truth.

After a long silence, Nan Zhi's voice, slightly fractured, whispered, "We were never together. He didn't love me."

"What's his name?"

Nan Yi's gaze settled on the young Alpha who continued to regard him with curiosity.

Nan Zhi's expression darkened a shade further, mentioning the young Alpha's name apparently not uplifting his mood: "Lin Yun Jian."

A simple name, yet spoken with a tinge of bitterness.

"Do you know the story behind that name?"

Today, when facing Nan Yi, not only was Nan Zhi remarkably patient, but even his usual disdain seemed absent.

Nan Yi shook his head, anticipating Nan Zhi's explanation.

"Yun comes from the name Yun Luo, whom he adored. Jian... signifies a hope that he remains uncomplicated in character, unlike me," Nan Zhi voiced with a hint of sorrow.

"Yun... Luo? He was fond of Yun Luo? But..."

"Indeed, Yun Luo's affections lie elsewhere. Yet, who can ever truly decipher matters of the heart?" Nan Zhi interrupted, feigning indifference.

His tone, however, quivered slightly with restraint.

How could he be indifferent? The man he loved did not reciprocate those feelings, and even their son's name bore echoes of Lin Qiu Wu's unrequited love.

"He's not worth it," Nan Yi declared.

"Yes, I know he isn't. But then, I've never considered myself particularly virtuous either. Having Jian should have been enough for me."