Chapter 3.5 • hey, daddy

Nia stepped out of the vehicle after giving Colin directions to the visitor's parking

Nia stepped out of the vehicle after giving Colin directions to the visitor's parking. With the soft crunch of his tires against the driveway behind her she texted him, "Buzz 5506 and I'll let you in" while her footsteps clicked swiftly through the lobby.

When her apartment's door closed behind her, Nia quickly kicked off her heels and did a frantic tidy of the space. She hung up her coat, sprayed a mist of her most expensive marshmallowy perfume, and had just hit play on her mushy R&B playlist when her buzzer went off. She pushed the button to unlock the door and spoke into the intercom calmly to conceal her nerves, "It's open." She took a step into her bathroom for a final inspection, hair primp, buttery chapstick application,  and a silent pep talk.

Just because he's coming up here doesn't mean you're gonna fuck him, Nia. But if you do want to fuck him, that's perfectly okay too. It's 2023. You haven't had dick in like 3 weeks and he's so sexy. A perfectly capable (and cute) candidate, if you think about the kiss he just laid on you. It could be a one night stand. Or, it could be the beginning of a beautiful no strings fling. Or in some unholy, ironic way - a relationship. Sure, it's typically not the best start, but who's to say it couldn't be? Women can do what they want when they want just like men. Just don't be stupid and wear protection.

Nia jumped when the knock came through her door. She checked her peephole just to be sure and saw a somehow sexier Colin through it's distortion before she opened the door.

"Hi again." She stepped back to let him in.

"Long time no see." Colin chuckled as Nia closed the door behind him. "Your place is really nice. Clean colours but cozy."

"Thank you." Nia was happy he picked up on it. It took her the last two years to properly curate the vibes of her one bedroom apartment. She chose subtle shades of white and brown like ivory, cream and taupe for her linens and walls, and kept her maple furniture unvarnished to contrast with the various pops of greens from her tropical plant collection and forest green couch. She hung art prints in natural wood frames to carry the earthy tones throughout the space.

As they walked down the short hallway to leave the foyer and her bathroom behind, they entered her open kitchen and living area with floor to ceiling windows. Nia stood with her back against her bedroom door and gestured to the one that led to the balcony.

"It's nice tonight. Do you want something to drink, like a nightcap and we can sit and talk out there?"

"Sure."

"I'm more of a wine woman but I can make you a scotch and soda. Is that cool?" Nia walked to the corner of her kitchen she had adopted as her bar. Bottles of wine and a few of liquor filled a counter top rack organized by drink type.

"That's perfect." Colin said as he analyzed her collection and caught a glimpse of the inside of her fridge from the other side of the island. "Man, I thought I was tidy - teach me your ways."