Chapter 23

ZEKE

Training went well, even though part of my head was elsewhere. I wanted to know who the girl was with the wolf. It was the strangest thing.

Before training was over, a pack link came through to all the pack members. "Rogues," someone shouted, which made me tense. There have been no rogue attacks in seven years. Why now?

I looked over to my father, whose face hardened. He looked at me. "They just entered the witch's town, not too far from here." I knew what he meant. We were there before coming here. It was where I saw the girl and the wolf. A sinking feeling swept over me, and saying nothing, I took off with my father, calling after me.

"Zeke!" But I didn't stop, not for him.

Rogues were lethal and were more cunning when it came to people who didn't understand them.

Letting Mac take over and shift, we bounded toward where we last saw the witch. I could hear wolves falling on me, but I didn't care.

We ran until we came to a clearing but stopped when we saw a group of kids running away. One girl tripped over just as a rogue came close to her. My eyes darted toward her and I was about to move when I spotted another girl move closer. The power that radiated from her was powerful, and it made me stare at her through Mac's eyes, who also seemed to be in a trance with the girl.

Her hair blew in the wind, which made her realize that her hair was purple. I watched as the girl stepped in front of the tripped girl who looked like she had seen a ghost. The powerful girl flicked the damn mutt away from her like it was nothing.

"Move!" a woman shouted from somewhere. "Get up now."

The girl remained in her position as the wolves started circling her.

Even though I knew she most probably could take them out with the power she had. I let out a loud howl as some of my alpha aura slipped through, making the damn rogues tense.

They were aware of the fact that they were outnumbered.

The rogues looked behind them and stared, but I felt movement beside and a scent. My father was close by, in human form.

Mac growled.

"I guess you leave," my father growled. "You're outnumbered."

The rogues looked around. Fear rippled through them as they darted.

"Follow them!" my father shouted to some pack members. "Bring them back to the pack. We can interrogate them to find out what they know."

Movement from behind left and chased after the rogues, but Mac's focus was on the girl before us, who seemed to try very hard to control whatever was taking over. Her eyes were closed, but her power was magnificent.

But to my surprise and everyone else around me, we watched on as the wolf I saw with her walked up to her and pressed up against her. It was like it was trying to persuade her that she was safe. It was a magnificent sight to see.

After a few moments, the purple flames that coated her hands had now disappeared. Her eyes closed opened, which made me gape. Her eyes were purple, something I had never seen before.

Her eyes met Mac's and widened as she took in what was before her. I felt her tense, and fear came. There was something here. Her eyes stayed on me just as an older woman ran up and placed her hand on her arm. "Callie," she said, but her eyes darted to us.

Mac stared at her while my father slipped before us to block us, which was weird. "Sorry about that," he said, trying to sound calm. "We only got word that they were here."

The younger girl said nothing, but the older woman did. "The council members are coming here now," she said, placing her arm around the girl. "We need to leave."

Mac looked up at my father, who nodded, but his eyes were solely on the girl. It looked like he knew her or something.

Mac looked back but said nothing. I knew he wanted to speak, but he was trying to figure out what to ask, which was where my head was. I opened a mind link to my father while the older woman moved the girl away from us.

The girl moved with the wolf following to the side of her.

"Dad," I murmured. "Did you see..."

"Yes," he said. "I did. Her power is magnificent, but the wolf is new to me. I have never seen a normal wolf take to a human like that, especially a witch."

I said nothing but watched as they headed to a house. An old woman stood on the doorstep and stared.

"Fuck," my father muttered through the mind link. "I guess that answers that question I have."

I frowned. "Dad, what are you on about?"

My father said nothing, which only made Mac look up at him. Mac looked between the woman and my father until the woman returned to the house. Once the door was closed, Mac looked at my father, who sighed and looked down at us. "There are a few things we need to discuss when we get back to the pack," he said when we heard footsteps approaching us. "But we must wait until we deal with these people."

Mac's eyes looked ahead and spotted a few people walking towards us. "Council members that the woman was on about before she went inside," my father said, feeling my confusion for them. I said nothing while he continued. "Mac, don't move and stay as you are. Don't shift, not even if they demand it."

Confusion rippled through me, but I knew my father wouldn't say it for nothing. It made me wonder what the hell we were getting ourselves into. I felt the mind link close while Mac watched as I stayed close by.

After a few moments, a woman came closer while leaving the others behind, but their eyes were on the entire time. The woman looked at my father, me, and then back to my father. "He should shift back," she said with a sigh. She looked over her shoulder at the others and then returned to us. "But I won't ask him to. I knew he would be naked if he did, and I don't want to cause a stir between the younger witches."

A smirk pulled the corners of my lips while Mac was amused by her words. Didn't they have male naked bodies to look at?

Shaking my thoughts away, I could hear the woman continue. "As for just now," she said. "Thank you for the assist. We don't know where they came from."

Something in the way she said that made me know she was lying. They know where the rogues came from, but why lie to us?

The woman sighed, sounding like she had something better to do.

"The witches just wanted to thank you," she said. "And our young ones will see you at the pack school next week."

"Sure," he said. "What about..."

"The girl?" the woman said, cutting him off. "She will be, but a week later. We have to talk about her managing her power."

Mac looked up at my father, who nodded at her, but he said nothing.

"Well, you can now leave," she said, which made us look back at her.

Rude, much lady.

Mac grunted with the agreement.

We all watched as the woman returned to the others but stopped. She turned around to face us and gave us a stern look. "Leave, I said."

Something about the woman I didn't like.

My father's hand went to Mac's head, which made him look up at him. Our father motioned to leave.

Mac turned around and went to leave, but he looked over to the house that the girl had gone into. In the window stood the three women, their eyes on us.

Who were they?

Mac sighed and walked away, leaving us to our thoughts as we headed home.