Chapter 23: Arrival!

The sun broke over the horizon in the east, the jagged mountains delaying its arrival for a few minutes longer, the sky blue long before the glowing ball of light the colour heralded. Light filtered through the window of the room, and as morning came, I was gently awoken by the sweet song of the Second Place-san.

Literally -- the boy was loudly singing to himself as he packed his bag.

Groggily, I rose in my futon, and looked around.

This isn't our apartment...

After a moment, my brain activated, and I remembered where I was -- and why a wild Second Place-san was prancing around my room. Groaning, I pulled the futon cover back over my head, buying myself a few more precious minutes of solitude and darkness. Nevertheless, the sound permeated my sanctuary; there was no escape.

It is far too early in the morning for this.

Eventually, I was faced with the stark reality that staying within my futon was not, in fact, a viable long-term option. Sighing, I emerged from my cocoon, and began drearily getting ready myself. The other boys in the room were scattered all about as though a typhoon had struck overnight; unlike fallen debris, however, the assorted lumps of human were beginning to stir.

With light streaming through, I walked over to the window of the room, pulled the curtain aside, and took a peek outside.

The view took my breath away.

The ryokan was situated near Nakatsugawa, or so I'd been able to gather from the information posted in the lobby. The previous evening, it had been too dark to make out any details from the bath -- but now, I could see the view in all its glory. The mountains were on full display, an admixture of orange and green peeking out from under the blanket of snow still remaining from the previous night's storm. The sky remained a misty grey, but in combination with the mountains, it rendered the whole view somehow all the more romantic -- clouds wisped around the peaks, thin strands of cotton decorating their ashen crowns. The trees in front of the ryokan, just outside the window, had hoarfrost coating their branches -- and yet, most of the leaves had not yet fallen, the white snow mixing with the remaining greenery to create an almost unearthly sight.

I checked my phone. It was still quite early... I probably had time for another bath.

The wayward thought cheered me enough to temporarily render Second Place-san's assault on my ears futile. It wasn't that he was a bad singer; far from it. He was just loud.

Suddenly, a pillow flew across the room at lightning speeds, and smacked Second Place-san right in the face.

"Can it, blondie," Maeda growled, sitting up from inside his futon. "Some of us are trying to sleep."

"Hah! Nonsense, Maeda-san!" Second Place-san retorted, the pillow falling away to the floor. "All go-getters are early risers! If you wish to win the woman of your dreams, you must rise with the sun! Push beyond your limits: shine like the morning glow of dawn!"

To my absolute astonishment, instead of doing the obvious thing and lashing out at the buffoon, Maeda's face suddenly looked... chastened.

"You're... you're right. I'm sorry, Love-Sensei."

"Love-Sensei? What the hell happened while I was gone last night?!" I found myself saying out loud in sheer incredulity.

"A-hahahahahaha! I have simply granted the boon of bountifulness unto Maeda-san here! Tell me, will you also take up the mantle, Uesugi Fuutarou?"

"I cannot think of a single thing I would like less in life," I said drily, slowly backing away.

"Nonsense! Join us, and--"