22. Kiddie Pools

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
KIDDIE POOLS

"Okay, so, in this example we're the acrobat." Mike attempted to explain, motioning to his hand drawn diagram which he tried to match to Mr Clarke's. "Will and Barbara, and the monster, they're this flea."

Mrs Byers, Johnathan and Nancy were sat on the couch in the Byers' living room with Hopper standing watching closely over at the side. Aaron, Lucas, Dustin, Mike, Kimmy and Eleven were sat on the floor across from the three, leaning on the small table in front of them.

Nancy had mentioned that her friend had also gone missing, hoping the girl may be with Will, despite the fact she didn't have the same evidence as the party to back up her claims.

Aaron had no idea her friend was even missing, and he felt awful about it. Surely her disappearance had been just as much broadcasted as Will's disappearance had been. Perhaps the younger boy was just too wrapped up in his own missing friend to really take notice.

"And this is the Upside Down, where Will is hiding." Mike continued, pointing to the paper once more just like Mr Clarke had done at Will's funeral. "Mr Clarke said the only way to get there is through a rip of time and space."

"A gate." Kimmy elaborated with a nod.

"That we tracked to Hawkins Lab." Lucas shrugged.

"With our compasses." Aaron continued, looking directly at the three sat in front of him and avoiding the older man who he knew he had already managed to piss off enough that night.

Mrs Byers' eyes widened drastically, looking to the group as if they were crazy, whereas Nancy and Johnathan looked to the twelve year olds as if they had just spoken some other language.

"Okay, so the gate has a really strong electromagnetic field," Dustin began quickly, taking notice of the confused expressions being sent their way. "And that can change the directions of a compass needle."

"Is this gate underground?" Hopper asked dragging the attention of the group to him, his voice blunt despite the look of confusion pulling on his features.

"Yes." Eleven answered softly, taking everyone by surprise.

Hopper tilted his head, as if he already knew something the group didn't. "Near a large water tank?"

"Yes." The girl nodded again, her voice just above a whisper.

Aaron looked to the older man with his face scrunched into a look of perplexity, not shying away from his obvious confusion.

"How did you know that?" The blond boy asked the chief, unable to hide the way he couldn't believe the man would even be keeping up with what they were saying.

The older man didn't reply, pausing momentarily as he sent Aaron a dumbfounded look, one which Aaron jokingly returned. However the chief didn't find much humour in it.

"He's seen it." Mike replied for him, sounding shocked at the sudden revelation.

The party looked to Mike with matching expressions of confusion, but before Mike could elaborate on what he meant, Mrs Byers was speaking up.