TWO. not always quite the something you were after

    RIVER HAD always been pretty

    RIVER HAD always been pretty. She couldn't recall a time that she wasn't. She knew she was pretty and she knew that others knew that she was pretty.

She was tall, blonde, and had the prettiest set of hazel eyes that anyone in Silver Falls, Colorado had ever seen.

She would often catch people staring at her in the halls and she would never acknowledge it. She didn't know if they were staring because she had gum stuck in her hair, if they were just admiring her, if they were jealous. It could be a plethora of things.

But for now, she chose to settle in the fact that people were possibly staring at her because she had her locker open and Evan stood on the other side of it as he spoke about a recent test he thought he'd failed, but passed with flying colors.

"... I was the only one to make an A and now she wants me to try and become a tutor."

River looked up from her notebook that she'd been scribbling her notes in. She gave Evan a small smile before looking back down.

"For extra credit?"

"No."

River rolled her eyes and suddenly felt an arm lap her shoulder. She looked up and saw Cole standing by her side, but she didn't really acknowledge the fact that he'd been so close to her.

"Evan."

Evan nodded and looking over at River who looked up at him quickly.

"Cole." He replied. "I'll see you later, River."

River waved him goodbye and watched Evan disappear in the crowd of people and once he was out of sight she shook Cole's arm off her shoulder and shut her locker.

"What are you doing?" She asked.

She knew what he was doing. She was smart, remember. She knew what Cole wanted and that was her attention on him and him only.

River waited for his response as made her way to her classroom and he followed right behind her.

"You didn't come over last night." Cole said.