"With memories of Cedric around every corner?" Layla scoffed. "I doubt it."

"Hey..." Remus pulled his daughter into another hug. "Where did my optimistic little girl go?"

"She grew up," said Layla quietly, but she still hugged her dad back. Remus sighed sadly and kissed his daughter's head.

"I'll see you at Christmas, Lay."

"Don't forget, all of you," Moody began, "careful what you put in writing. If in doubt, don't put it in a letter at all."

"It's been great meeting all of you,' said Tonks, hugging Hermione, Layla, and Ginny. "We'll see you soon, I expect."

A warning whistle sounded; the students still on the platform started hurrying on to the train.

"Quick, quick," said Mrs Weasley distractedly, hugging them all, 'Write... be good... if you've forgotten anything we'll send it on... on to the train, now, hurry..."

For one brief moment, the great black dog reared on to its hind legs and placed its front paws on Layla's shoulders, causing Layla to crack a smile and stroke the dog, but Mrs Weasley shoved Layla away towards the train door, hissing, "For heaven's sake, act more like a dog, Sirius!"

Once they were on the train, it began to move. The figures of Tonks, Lupin, Moody, and Mr and Mrs Weasley shrank rapidly but the black dog was bounding alongside the window, wagging its tail; blurred people on the platform were laughing to see it chasing the train, then they rounded a bend, and Sirius was gone.

"He shouldn't have come with us," said Hermione in a worried voice.

"Oh, lighten up, 'Mione," said Layla, 'he hasn't seen daylight for months."

"Well," said Fred, clapping his hands together, "can't stand around chatting all day, we've got business to discuss with Lee. See you later," and he and George disappeared down the corridor to the right.

The train was gathering still more speed, so that the houses outside the window flashed past, and they swayed where they stood.

"Shall we go and find a compartment, then?" Harry asked.

Ron and Hermione exchanged looks.

"Er," said Ron.

"We're — well — Ron and I are supposed to go into the prefect carriage," Hermione said awkwardly.

"Oh," said Harry. "Right. Fine."

"I don't think we'll have to stay there all journey," said Hermione quickly. "Our letters said we just get instructions from the Head Boy and Girl and then patrol the corridors from time to time."

"Fine," said Harry again. "Well, I — I might see you later, then."

"Yeah, definitely," said Ron. 'It's a pain having to go down there, I'd rather — but we have to — I mean, I'm not enjoying it, I'm not Percy," he finished defiantly.

"I know you're not," said Harry. Hermione and Ron dragged their trunks, Crookshanks and a caged Pigwidgeon off towards the engine end of the train. Harry turned to Layla. "You want to find a compartment?"

"No, thanks," said Layla bluntly. Harry frowned lightly and turned to Ginny, who looked conflicted, flickering her eyes between Layla and Harry. Layla chuckled, making the decision for her.

"Go sit with him. It's fine, Gin. Besides, it just means I get some time for myself."

"Okay," Ginny nodded, giving Layla a quick hug. "I'll see you at Hogwarts."

"Yep," said Layla. "Save me a seat at the feast."

And with that, Layla turned and strolled off to look for an empty compartment, her bag slung over her shoulder as she struggled down the corridor with her three pet cages, peering through the glass-panelled doors into the compartments she passed, which were already full. Layla could not help noticing that a lot of people stared back at her with great interest and that several of them nudged their neighbours and pointed her out.