xxii. the winner takes it all

rock 'n' roll suicide;❛ LONG STORY SHORT ❜❝ we were a mess, two natural disasters that could not heal together ❞

❛ LONG STORY SHORT ❜
❝ we were a mess, two natural disasters that could not heal together ❞

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

ELLIE: After everything that happened...the way everybody just fell apart...I am glad I got to keep Eddie. He kept me afloat all of those years and I would have fallen apart if I lost him too.

DAISY: I wish she needed me the same way I needed her. I guess that she just needed him more.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

When Ellie walked into the empty dining room with a big piano sitting in the middle, she did not expect to find Daisy sitting in front of it. She knew that moment was coming. The two of them could not suffer in silence till the end of their lives. The only time that they would tell each other how they felt was when they were on the stage, singing each other the songs that they wrote about their poor attempt at a relationship.

"I guess that congratulations are in order." Daisy offered Ellie a smile that was so clearly forced.

Ellie nodded and made sure to keep herself at a big enough distance from the door and Daisy. If things went south, she did not want to be standing directly in front of Daisy and wanted to be as close to the exit as possible. She sighed. "Yeah, it was a last-minute decision but we got engaged in Pittsburgh and wanted to get married as soon as possible."

There was nothing left between them anymore. Nothing that Ellie could still cling to, at least. There were lingering feelings between them and tension throughout the entire tour and the chances of them rekindling their broken bond disappeared the second she said "I do". It was different from Daisy's mess of a marriage. That was a call for help and petty revenge. It was an attempt to prove to Ellie that she no longer had any hold on Daisy. It was a lie, but, for a while, Ellie really did believe that it was over. That was until she saw the way that Daisy would look at her when her husband's arm was wrapped around her.

Unlike Daisy, Ellie respected her marriage. It was built up after years of pinning, trust, and friendship. She and Eddie were each other's saving grace. Ellie did not think that she was ever ready to let that go.

"Are you happy?" Daisy asked in a quiet voice. She swallowed. "With him."

"Yeah." Ellie said without missing a beat. "Eddie is the one person who I can imagine ending up with. He is my rock. He lifts you up even when I don't deserve it. He loves me unconditionally. He is my light. And Daisy, you were a wonderful experience but..."

"I'm not him." Daisy finished for her. The look in her eyes changed after Ellie's words left her lips. It seemed as if she was looking through Ellie.

"It's not that." Ellie shook her head rapidly. Her relationship with Daisy was complex. They crashed and they burned but they were so passionate. Her relationship with Eddie was exactly what she needed to keep her afloat and she could not imagine doing what she did with Eddie with anyone else after that. He was it for her. "I loved you, Daisy. Don't act like you don't know it. We were just doomed from the start. Maybe if we were not so similar and if we were born thirty years later..."