1

Living in the mountains has always been cold, especially during the winter.  Although we were closer to the sun than anybody else, nothing could warm this place up when it was frozen. The summers weren't exactly warm either here, but it was durable enough to live through. But all these years I've lived here, I couldn't help but yearn for a regular life, on the ground. There wasn't a lot up here. But there wasn't nothing, just enough to get a village by for multiple years.

       And, this year, I just turned old enough to get picked to go down the mountain for supplies. And I'd even get to bring someone along to help me for my first time if I get picked, that is. But, back to my life on this mountain, everyone here knew each other…On the outside at least. Yeah, sure, everyone knew my name, so what? They don't know who I am inside. And frankly? I don't need them to. They wouldn't understand me anyway. So for now, until I can finally leave this place, I'll keep to myself. And no one else. 

          Though, sometimes, it's not all bad living here. Especially when there's a cute boy my age. And might I add someone I could have a chance with. There's not THAT many girls here that are 19 anyway. So my only concern would have to be three other girls, who are genuinely the most fake snobs in this entire place. Lucy, Carly, and Suzy B Miller. The same three triplets who tried to ruin my life at every chance they got. You know, maybe the next time I threaten someone, I should make sure there's no one else around… 

       But!! The boy who I may or may not have a chance with, Colt, he had been my best friend since I was three. He's a year older than me and super cute. But recently, things have been a little odd with us. He keeps avoiding me when I go towards him. And once, a couple of days ago, I saw him talking to SUZY of all people. He knows how awful they treat me. I don't understand why he would do something like that. But it's probably nothing. It's not like he'd ever willingly be friends with those types of people…Right?

            But enough about him, and back to the village. We weren't always on our own. We used to have an alliance with our neighboring town, they were bigger than us, and at first they seemed really kind. But, after years of being “used” by us, I guess they decided it was enough for us. And had cut us off. Leaving us to starve and freeze for a while. Until our elder had a great idea. To send someone down the mountain. And get supplies for us our way. 

           And, our neighbors, years after, had a downfall. Ran out of resources, apparently. They came begging us to let them in our town. But, our elder had other plans for them… I didn't exactly witness it myself, but I could hear it. I heard it all. The screams, the low guttural screeches, and the squishing sound of what I never want to imagine. One downfall about having a hut closest to the ceremony cave is that, whatever goes on in there, there's always an echo.

              I'd never quite enjoyed loud sounds or anything of that sort. It always seemed to mess with my way of thinking, you know? Loud ear piercing sounds that no matter how hard you try, you can never block out. The constant reminder that a wrong move in anything and you could end up like them. It could happen to anyone, anywhere. And all the years I've lived, I had only witnessed a single person go. Frankly, they had it coming.   

             Always messing up the fires at night, the only thing that kept us from freezing to death, or even messing with the lovely ladies who taught the younger girls how to sew cloth. No one laughed. Not even a glance was sent towards them. Even though not a single word had been spared about what would happen to them, everyone seemed to have an idea of what happened. Those screams were unforgettable, unfortunately. I had been asleep in my makeshift bed out of sticks and whatever I could make for it to be comfortable. My blanket had been made out of remains I had from sewing. My old one was ripping, so I combined the two into a larger one.

     I was warmer than usual that night, not exactly in a deep sleep. I was paranoid. I felt like eyes were watching my every movement, if there was any. I tried my best to stay as still as possible. But not to the point where it would seem obvious that if there was, in fact, something there, I knew.  I guess you could say I was on the border of awake and asleep. Though, just as I was about to go past that border, I heard something that  was in my ‘room’. The sounds of a small huff  were heard from across my room.  

      It wasn't loud like an agitated sigh, but more of a disappointed sound. It was odd. Because that same very night, I heard it. It starts with the scratching on the walls. And then the wailing of what I assume is pain. After that is all I can describe as it is, overall terrifying.  The screams, the sickly mushy sounds. And the worst of it all? The growls I can hear, from whatever is in there. I know that whatever is in there isn't human. But a beast, a monster even. Something that I never want to meet.

       But, that was days ago. months ago, even. But it was as clear as day in my mind.  As if it had only happened yesterday. And even now, I can still hear it. The huff and puffs, the sighing, and the stench of death always fill my room at night. I'm too scared to even look at what might be there, I'm too scared to try and tell someone that I think there's something that watches me sleep. Hearing myself say it is crazy enough. I didn't need others saying it about me. But today is the day I see who gets chosen. I'm hoping it's me. 

       Though, it's later tonight. And it's only morning now. Today was going to be a long day. Especially since I had chores to do. And, out of everyone else here, I had gotten the hardest ones. Why did I need them? There's plenty of others who can do it  for me. But, of course, it had to be me. My mom was always doing this. Signing me up for stupid things. Always saying something about me needing it. But, honestly? I never did. And I never will. I like to think that I'm
a normal person. Sure, I'm not strong, but I'm not weak either.

       Though, I do think I should get a move on. Knowing my dad, he'd never let me go to the ceremony if I didn't get my chores done. And he'd especially never let me go with Colt. He's never really liked him for some reason. To me, Colt's a sweet boy. He's always been nothing but kind towards me. But then again, my dad's opinions on things rarely come true. And when I say rarely, I mean practically never.

             Although, enough of this, whatever. I need to work hard. Really, really, really hard on these chores. This cave won't get clean by itself! I wish it would, though. I hate cleaning. I hate cleaning with a passion. Most people I know, they say it's supposed to be calming. But to me, I think it's a load of shit.