Chapter 5: Confessions

Jeez, the weather was terrible. Drizzly and grey, with a ton of wind. It felt like tiny needles on my face. Nico sure picked a swell day to want to meet up.

   I hurriedly opened the glass door to the tiny little coffee shop. My nose filled with the heavenly smells of coffee, and other various treats displayed under the checkered counter. But I was there for answers, not snacks. Those could wait. O sniffed the air again. Maybe. Just for a little while. 

   Rianne's boyfriend, Kacey, greeted me, looking cute in his little red server's apron. 

   "Hey, Grace! Terrible weather, huh? Good thing I'm in here and not out in that. Nico's right back there. says he's waiting for you."  

   He pointed over to the little red booth tucked over in the far right corner. Huh. The corner was pretty isolated. Nico obviously didn't want us to be overheard. Even if Kacey was the only other one in the shop. I hugged Kacey, gave him my thanks, and walked over to the table.  

   Nico looked up and smiled as I took a seat across from him, and cleared his throat. He offered me some of his coffee, which I accepted, grateful for a hot drink in the dreary weather. Oh lord, coffee was heaven after walking through the cold.

   "Hey. So, I'm guessing you want me to explain why I was acting like such a dick at school."  

   I shook my head. "No, Nico. You weren't being a dick or anything. You were just acting..."  

   "Awkward," he finished.

   "Yeah. Awkward." I smiled a little, to try to ease up the seriousness, but Nico continued to regard me with a grave expression. Jeez. Tough crowd.

   "About that," he cleared his throat before continuing. He took a deep breath, his lanky torso hunched over a little.  

   What did he want to tell me, that was making him so nervous? I leaned in a little closer to him.

   "Nico, you know you can tell me anything. I'll listen. We've been friend since we were five. I think we're past the whole 'secrets' thing. What, is there some girl you have a crush on or something?" I laughed nervously.  

   He didn't speak right away. My smile faded, and I sat, waiting for a reply.  

   "Grace," he said a minute or so later. He reached out and put both of my shaking hands in his. His pretty green eyes gazed into my plain hazel ones. He took another deep breath. I could feel his hands shake.  

   When the words finally came, I heard them loud and clear.  

   "Grace...I'm in love with you. I have been for three years, and I needed you to know."  

   I gasped. I couldn't think of what to say; all I could do was stare at him. He...loved me?  

   Fuck him.

   Without thinking, I reached out, and smacked him. Right across that smug little face of his.  

   "What the hell, Grace?!" He grabbed my hand, his face red from the smack and his surprised anger.  

   I blew up. Without thinking, I began shrieking at him. "What the hell, NICO. Why would you tell me this now?! You've known this for THRRE YEARS, and I'm just finding this out NOW?" 

   I paused to angrily wipe away a tear and calm down a little.  

   In a slightly lower voice, I said, "You wait to tell me until I'm taken, and happy. Go to hell."  

   And with that, I turned and stormed out of the shop. Kacey looked after me, and then at Nico in confusion. He heard my whole little temper tantrum. Oh, to hell with what he thought. What was he gonna do, tell Rianne? I could care less.

   Instead of driving home, I drove to Chelsea's house. She would listen, she would know how to help me. She could help me sort out this big mess. 

   Chelsea found me, fifteen minutes later, huddled on her doorstep in the pouring rain.  

   "Girl, you're crazy! It's pouring! You and Mr. Mysterious have an argument alrea-" She stopped when I lifted my tear-streaked face to her. "Grace, baby girl, what's the matter? Your makeup's all ruined, what's wrong honey?"  

   I couldn't find my voice to answer her, but she seemed to understand anyway. She pulled me up, and inside the house.  

   When I calmed down enough, I found myself sitting on her bed, pouring out the whole story to her.  

   "...And the jerk waited three goddamn years to tell me," I finally finished, collapsing into her and sobbing all over again.  

   She sat stunned for a minute, with her arms around me.  

   "Shh, Grace, its okay sweetie. You're right, Nico had no right to do this to you, especially now. If he wanted to make a move, he should've grown a pair and done it years ago."  

   I looked up at her. "Chelsea, I just don't know what to do. How am I gonna hang around him. I just don't know," and I broke off, losing my voice again.  

   She pulled away from me and wiped the tears from my cheek.  

   "Hey," she said, nudging me. "Fuck him, right? He's just some guy who missed his chance. Just act like that little talk in the shop, never happened."  

   That's what I'd do. Act like it didn't happen. It was perfect.

   After another non-drama hour or two with Chelsea, I was on my way home. On the front porch, I pulled out my phone to check to time. 3 A.m. Yikes. Good thing it was a Friday. Not like my mom would care, anyways.  

   It was dark inside the house, and quieter than usual. My mom wasn't back from her boyfriend's house. I probably should've realized that when I didn't see her car in the driveway. That was just a little weird, though. She should've been home by then...

   I turned the little wooden doorknob to my bedroom. The door came open with a little 'whoosh'.  

   I gasped when I saw who was sitting on my bed, glaring at me.  

   "And where the FUCK have you been, Grace?" Jeff snarled at me.