"Thank you, but I've actually found a place," She moved forward letting out a joyful sigh. Fake. "All I want right now is to spend some time with my wonderful children." I gave her a tight smile. She looked behind us. "Speaking of which where is Jace? Lena?" 

"I'll explain Jace's situation later. Let's get you settled in," Isabelle explained. Mom looked at me.

"Lena on a mission?" I nodded. "She's always a driven hunter." 

She came forward giving me a tight hug. She'd called Lena one of her children. If she had been here to hear that it would have made her smile. I pulled my phone out sending Lena a text message just to check in. I just needed to know that she was okay. Almost immediately she responded. 

'Sorry long hunting trip. I think I'm onto something, but I'll let you know more later.' I clenched my jaw and slid the phone into my pocket. It felt wrong. Something felt off, but if she was fine then I was fine.

I told Isabelle to take Mom for a while so that I could go for a walk. The walk was actually me looking over the city for Lena and maybe Jace since he disappeared. He was supposed to be getting treatment, but our bond was quiet. Too quiet. 

The whole way around the city I couldn't find anything from Lena. I'd gotten myself a coffee to distract me while I waited for Lena to message me back. When I left I saw Jace standing on the sidewalk staring at the people on the sidewalk.

"Hey," I touched his shoulder. He turned surprised to see me. "What are you doing here? I thought you were at the silent city?"

"Yeah—I—I was. I completed my treatment," He smiled. He was flustered.

"Already?"

"It's crazy, right?" Jace smiled. "The silent brothers work fast." He was acting like he couldn't even believe what came out of his mouth. "But I'm good. I'm great." He did look better and he sounded better. He pointed behind him. "I was just on my way to the institute to share the good news."

"Yeah," I said.

"What are you doing here?" He looked at the cup of coffee in my hands. 

"I'm uh—going for a walk." I clenched my jaw as my eyes scanned every face on the sidewalks. She had to be around here somewhere.

"Taking a walk?" Jace echoed. I grimaced. "Since when do you take walks."

"Just trying to clear my head while I worry about Lena," I said. Jace nodded.

"Right, but she's alright, I mean you've seen her fight," He patted my shoulder. I nodded.

"Right, forget about me." I hugged him. "I'm glad you're feeling better. You know, Mom's back." I smiled. He nodded. "She'll be happy to see you."

"Oh great," Jace smiled. 

I nodded and walked with him back to the institute. Lena still hadn't responded to my messages. I'd left her two now.

***

ALEC POV

"Jace is the owl. How is that even possible?" Isabelle asked. 

I stared at the tablet in front of me. He was off. I knew he was off. Lena even commented on it before she went missing. She's been no contact for a few days now, but I don't even know where to start.

"This whole time it wasn't his mental health," I rubbed my forehead. "He was possessed."

"By an extremely powerful greater demon, who gave him the ability to turn mundanes into demonic creatures," Magnus added.