[10] Anger

¤♡¤

¤♡¤

"Have you chopped the onions?" My mom asked as she moved frantically around the kitchen

"Have you chopped the onions?" My mom asked as she moved frantically around the kitchen. She has been jittery since I woke up and I realized that it was because my dad's family are coming over.

You might have noticed that I haven't said anything once about my dad, well that's because he's an asshole of a man. He was a good man, he was so loving and caring towards my mom and I before his money driven parents made him meet this rich as fuck woman.

That was when things changed.

He would not come home on some days, because he was busy. It then reduced to weeks, then months and sometimes he would even forget some important days in our home like my birthday or his and mom's wedding anniversary.

All of a sudden, he disappeared. We haven't seen or heard about him in 5 years now.

My mom still misses and love him. The continual sobs and sniffles that usually come from their—her room is evidence.

Apparently, my grandparents seemed to remember that they have a family somewhere. My mom broke the news of their visitation to me the day I met Justin and we had lunch at the restaurant across the school.

She called me on the phone telling me my grandparents were going to arrive in Lagos in November and are going to pay us a visit very late in the month of December. I just did not know it will be today, the 31st of all days they'll be around.

Do they expect us to sit around like a normal family and count down to the new year?

I was so angry at the fact that they left us for five years straight and now want to come over like nothing happened. Angry at my dad for not even remembering us and leaving us for money. Angry at my mom for agreeing for them to come and most of all, angry at myself for not being able to do anything about it.

As soon as the call ended, I broke down into tears on the sidewalks. I didn't even notice Justin had come out of the restaurant to sit beside me until I raised my head.

I smiled remembering how he acted like he didn't just witness me cry, not even showing me an ounce of pity and I liked it. I liked it because I knew how I feel when people gaze at me with pitying looks when they hear that my father left me and my mom.