Yan Yan sneered. "That depends on what sort of elders we have to respect!"

"Exactly, exactly."

Shen Yi Yao rubbed her forehead. She actually knew her children were correct. But as someone of the older generation, she had to consider more than the juniors. Especially regarding Ah Yan. The estate's people had big mouths, and any rumors that spread would make it hard for Yan Yan in the future.

Unfortunately her daughter had never cared about this. She also didn't want to hear anything about it. She had been a little estranged with her daughter previously, and after these years things had finally gotten a little better. Shen Yi Yao also wasn't willing to argue with her again.

Right as they were speaking, Matron Zhao came out to welcome them, her face full of smiles.
"Madam, third miss, fourth young master, greetings. The old madam has been reminiscing about you for several days. The little lass responsible for watching the door is new, and isn't sensible. She didn't dare interrupt the old madam's conversation with the eldest and third madam, which resulted in this disagreement. She actually caused the third miss to get so angry. That little lass's cheek is completely swollen. The old madam repeatedly criticized herself for causing this disaster after seeing it."

Shen Yi Yao smiled and thanked the old madam for her concern. She also returned Matron Zhao's words about reminiscing, but didn't mention Yan Yan hitting people at all.

Matron Zhao's eyes flashed and she led the people inside.

The moment Yan Yan entered, she started scolding. "How can such an insensible person be working at the Rongan Hall? What is the granny in charge of servants good for? Matron Zhao, you have to manage them properly."

Matron Zhao smiled awkwardly and repeatedly agreed.

These words were heard by everyone in the eastern side room. The old madam's expression became a shade uglier. Xue-shi felt the urge to laugh. Just why couldn't the old madam act properly? Did she have to provoke them a little?

But if people were so sensible in this world, there wouldn't be that many conflicts. Unfortunately, the old madam had never been sensible.

Within the room, the old madam was sitting on the large kiln. On the chairs below sat Chen-shi and Xue-shi. Seeing Shen Yi Yao walk in, Chen-shi immediately stood up. Xue-shi however didn't. She was the older one and didn't need to stand to welcome her younger sis-in-law. However, she smiled very warmly.

Shen Yi Yao smiled and nodded at the two before stepping forward and crouching to pay respects.
In the past, the old madam would have someone lift her up before she could crouch. This time she didn't do so, and didn't even glance at Shen Yi Yao. Her body was turned as she slowly sipped her tea.

The atmosphere was extremely awkward. Shen Yi Yao was still crouched, Chen-shi had her head lowered. Xue-shi wanted to say something but hesitated, and could only glance apologetically at Shen Yi Yao.

Yan Yan was never someone who bothered with others. She directly stood up and then went to support Shen Yi Yao. "Really, mom. Grandmother's mouth is busy so you shouldn't just foolishly remain crouched."

These words almost made the old madam spit out her tea. Even so, she still couldn't help but start coughing. Matron Zhao hurried over to pat her back and wipe her mouth with a handkerchief.

Yan Yan brought Shen Yi Yao over to sit in a chair. She glanced at the maid on the side and had her bring over two small stools. She and Yan Mo sat next to Shen Yi Yao.

The moment they got back they put Concubine Lan in her place. This was because Yan Yan knew this Concubine Lan was very smug these couple of years in the estate. She was rather like a monkey who declared itself king when the tiger wasn't home. Therefore, this show of strength was meant for certain people. She thought the old madam shouldn't be so foolish and ask to be embarrassed.
Unexpectedly, after not seeing her for several years, she had become more muddled the older she got.