Chapter 2: School Projects Need Teamwork, Not Me Work

"Wake up, Conny! You're gonna be late to school!" yelled Cassie as she stood at the foot of her big brother's bed. She was wearing a brown T-shirt with a picture of anime characters on it and a darker brown skirt. Her hair was tied up into two pigtails. She was going to turn 4 years old in November.

Connor was still asleep in bed, despite his little sister talking as loud as she could. He had a drool mark on his left cheek and was snoring loudly.

"Don't make me attack you with kitty tickles!" said Cassie, picking up Alley Cat from the floor. When her brother turned over to his side, she carefully put the family's pet cat on the bed. "Now wake him up, Alley Cat," she whispered to her. Alley Cat meowed and proceeded to muzzle against her sleeping owner's cheek.

Connor shot up wide awake in bed. "Gah! What the-" He looked to his right to see Cassie giggling at him. Alley Cat had jumped off the bed and onto the floor and started licking herself. "Cassie! What'd you think you were doing?" He wiped off the drool mark on his cheek.

"Waking my big brother up with kitty tickles," she answered matter-of-factly. "Now get out of bed, brush your teeth and shower."

He got out of bed and stretched. "Ma'am yes ma'am!" he said in his best army-like voice, saluting. Cassie often pretended to be a little soldier, especially when she wanted her older brother to do what she wants, so Connor thought it was better if he played along with her.

"Forward march!" Cassie pointed towards the door, giggling as she watched Connor march quickly out of the bedroom.

"She's the best little sister in the whole world," thought Connor, smiling to himself. He'd just finished brushing his teeth. He then took off his clothes and stepped into the shower.

After stepping out of the shower, he put on his favourite clothes, slung his backpack across his shoulders and went downstairs. The bus would be coming to pick him up for school soon.

Entering the kitchen, a delicious scent filled the room. He already knew what was being served for breakfast for the day - pancakes with maple syrup, one of his favourites. If only he had enough time to eat it all...

His parents and Cassie were already seated at the dining table. "Good morning, sweetie," said Christine, smiling. She had slightly fairer skin than the rest of the family. "Cassie told us that she had to wake her big brother up with kitty tickles earlier."

Connor scratched the back of his head in embarrassment. "Yeah, I'd... rather we don't talk about that..." His parents laughed in response.

"Are you hungry? Wanna eat some breakfast first?" asked Christine. "I made your favourite pancakes!"

"I'm honestly starving, Mom," replied Connor. "But the bus is gonna be here any minute now."

"I know the bus will be here soon but you need to eat before you leave for school," said Christine. "I don't want you going to school on a hungry tummy. You might lose focus during class."

Connor felt his stomach grumble slightly. "Can I just have a banana?" he asked, clutching his stomach. "I don't think there's enough time for me to eat pancakes."

Cassie grabbed a banana from the fruit bowl on the counter. "Think fast, Conny!" She threw it towards Connor, who caught it with ease and started peeling it open.

"I'll have you know that I'm a speedster, Cassie," said Connor before taking a bite of the banana. "Thinking fast is what I'm good at. Why do you think I become Catboy at night?" Another bite. His little sister laughed at his comment.

"It's already Friday. Your first week of high school is nearly over," said his dad, who had a slight Spanish accent. He looked just like Connor, only as an adult with blue glasses and some stubble on his chin. "How's the week been so far, mijo?"