Magic: Chapter 34

Gino's was close to the water across Seattle from Ratinger's Drug in the circuitous maze that was Pike Place Market, a mesh of poorly planned buildings where buskers sold everything from fish to jellies.

People looked at me funny as I walked through the marketplace with the rat carrier. Shop owners would be fined and downgraded by the health inspector if they came across a rat in their store, and here I was swinging one gently like it was my pet. It wasn't, but none of them knew that. I took the stairs down to the basement and passed onto a rickety walkway with a perfect view of the water. The rat squeaked. I didn't have to speak its language to know that it wanted to see the water, too.

"It's pretty," I said to him, even though I knew the rat couldn't understand me. After a moment, I continued on the path past a used bookstore and several other shops. Every few dozen feet, the architecture changed completely, from mod to art deco to the bones of a condemned building. Eventually, we snaked around to the Italian restaurant cliché that was Gino's. Two burly ghouls stood on either side of the door, blocking the entrance with their brute bodies.

"Can I get inside, please? I have something your boss really needs to see." I lifted the rat carrier. "Do you recognize Benny? Because this is all that's left of him."

A piece of Benny was clearly worthy of their boss's attention. The ghouls looked at each other and nodded, then led me into the wood-paneled restaurant where two more monsters took their place. Several dozen monsters lurked around, all carrying weapons that could have iced me or at least caused a lot of pain. Finally, the room broke open, and I saw the elk at a table in its center, drinking a glass of sherry. Behind him, the windows showed off all the harbor.

His face rose into a slight smile when I approached. He clapped his hands together, which surprised me since he should have hooves. "I do so love when the prey comes right to me."

"I'm not prey, and I didn't kill your boss." I slammed the rat carrier on the table. "And here is the proof. I assume you recognize him."

The Elkman cocked its head. "Benny?"

The rat squeaked something, and it seemed like the Elkman understood him.

"I see, but how do I know you are really Benny?" The Elkman sighed. "I'm afraid you'll have to give me the password. The one you gave me in case of emergencies."

The rat squeaked again, and I thought it sounded indignant, somehow.

"I know that it seems like overkill, but you were once fifty rats, and you are all that is left of that glorious being who led us so bravely for so long and died like a—"

The rat squeaked.

"I was not going to say rat! I was going to say pig, or maybe dog, but I would never insult you like that."

The rat squeaked.

"I understand." The Elkman looked up at me. "It seems I may have made a mistake. Please sit down."

"Does that mean you'll call off your bounty?" I pulled up a chair across from him and sat down. The Elkman snapped his fingers, and a demon porter approached to pour another glass of sherry for me. I covered my glass. "No, thanks. I'm more a whiskey girl myself."

"I can arrange you a glass if you would like."

"What I would like is for people to stop trying to kill me."

"We are in a dangerous business." The Elkman sipped his sherry. "I'm afraid there's always somebody trying to kill us." The rat squeaked. "But Benny says that far from killing him, you actually saved his life. I'm sure you are aware that while one rat of the rat king exists, he can be rebuilt. We thought him dead. Seeing him alive is a great injustice righted."

"I didn't know that, but I'm glad you're happy." I slammed my hands on the table. "All I really care about is that those jagweeds stop trying to kill me."

The Elkman waved his arm dismissively. "Yes, yes. Done." The elk made a sign with his hand, and two demons walked to the other side of the bar. "See, it's already in process. I'll clear your bounty on the dark network, and it will all go away."

"Good," I replied. "Second thing. I think you should make good on your reward and pay me the two million."

The Elkman squealed with delight. "That is delicious, but no. I'm being generous not to kill you right now, you know. It's only fair since you've done this town a great service."

I pulled the rat carrier off the table and stood. "Then I think we're done here. I came to prove my innocence, and I've done that. Getting the rat back will cost you two million."

"That's kidnapping," the elk said.

"That's business."

"I like you." The Elkman clapped his hands together. "Perhaps we can come to an arrangement."

"We already have. Two million for the rat."

"Counteroffer." The Elkman snapped his fingers, and all the guns rose toward me. "I've had my men load their guns with obsidian bullets for just this eventuality. Thank you for giving us that information when we attacked the demons, by the way. Expensive, but worth it, so maybe you just give me the rat and walk away."

I smirked. This was my kind of negotiation. "Counter-counteroffer. I find the real killer, and you pay me five million."

"Why would I pay you when I could let the police do their job?"

I stepped toward him. "Because if they're on your payroll, they are clearly incompetent, as is everybody you work with. They've let this hit happen and forced you to hole up here. You need somebody new, somebody outside. Somebody Benny trusted." I pulled up the rat carrier. "Tell them."

The rat squealed.

"Yes—I understand—" The Elkman sighed. "Very well. Your terms are acceptable."

"Great," I replied, making for the door. "Meanwhile, I think Benny will stay with me. After all, none of you can be trusted to protect him."

Two orcs stepped in front of the door, blocking my exit. I held up the rat carrier again. A full minute of squealing later, and the Elkman snapped his fingers.

"Let him go." His voice was constrained and resigned. Five minutes ago, he was on top of the world, and now, he was being played by a girl and her rat.