⋅──⊱༺  🩺🫀💋 ༻⊰──⋅

     THAT NEXT DAY, Sage was assigned to scrub in with Owen, Callie, Cristina and Jackson to operate on Hillary Boyd, a 15 year old with 52 acute fractures from falling off the roof of her house.

"Well, it looks like you used pretty much every piece of hardware in the hospital," Owen said, looking down at the leg.

"Yeah, it makes you think twice about shrooming on a roof," Callie chuckled as she worked on a hip.

"And the mouth on this one?" Owen said, shaking his head slowly. "If I ever talked to my parents like—"

He was cut off when Callie chuckled again in agreement and said, "Oh, my father would've... oh, you don't even want to know."

Sage laughed quietly as she continued to work on the leg.

"My mother would've strangled me. I had perfect grades but I couldn't get away with anything, especially speaking to my parents like that," she told them, remembering how Hillary had spoken to her mother earlier.

Cristina looked at Sage before speaking. "I had perfect grades, perfect record, and I said whatever I wanted, did whatever I wanted. My parents couldn't do a thing about it."

"Want to hear about my childhood?" Jackson asked. The rest of the doctors in the room stayed completely silent. "No? Okay. I'll just, uh, think about it quietly in my own head."

Sage still didn't like the Avery boy all that much, considering he'd almost pushed her over in their first encounter, but then again he'd saved her from being hit with a hammer and having nobody want to hear the story he had to tell was very embarrassing, so she felt pretty bad.

"I would," Sage whispered to him, not looking up from her work. "Later."

He turned to her with wide eyes and she could tell he was smiling under her mask.

She rolled her eyes as Callie finished putting in the nail.

"Alright, nails in. everything's tight," Callie said. "Let's take a look."

Owen reached up and grabbed the x-ray so they could see the scan.

"Fantastic." They all went back to their work until the monitors started beeping at them, indicating that there was a problem.