My Benefactor Chapter Eight

Start from the beginning

(Derek's POV)

The moment Reagan closed the door, my laughter died down.

What the hell was I doing?

I leaned my head back to the chair and heaved a lungful of air.

Je t'aime ma cherie. Je t'aime. [I love you, my darling.]

"You're such an idiot, Derek." I muttered to myself.

I meant for it to come out in a brotherly way, but it came out more than that.

I bet Reagan was thinking I'm some twisted crazy bastard for saying such a thing, but when I think about it, she didn't react, or show any emotion. Maybe she thought of it as a brotherly gesture, since I said that to her ALMOST everyday. Oh well.

I grabbed my book from the table and continued to where I left off but unfortunately, someone has to knock on my door. I groaned and yelled a come in. The door opened and Cooper popped his head in with a grimace.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Why you look constipated, Cooper? Do you have indigestion?

He stepped inside but the door was ajar, "No, I don't." Then his face went serious,"you got company, dude."

"Huh? I'm not expecting anyone."

He rolled his eyes, "Duh, and you are not going to like this."

I was about to ask again, when Cooper was immediately jerked back making him yell out a 'hey' and in pops the person that I wasn't in the mood to see.

"Derek! Darling!"

I groaned. Helena, my mother. Just my luck.

I stood up and walked over to her to give a disapproving look, "Mother, why did you come to my house without informing me?"

She gave me 'I'm your mother. I can come whenever I please' look and walked over to give me a hug, "I came here to visit you."

I looked into her eyes to see if she was lying and it came up blank. My mom really knew how to mask her intentions from me. I don't know how she did it, but for an Elder like myself, we could sense lies and deception, but from her? Nada.

I pulled back quickly and glowered at her, "Honestly mother, what's the purpose of your unannounced visit?"

She frowned, "I told you, I came here to visit you."

I looked behind her to look for father but he wasn't there. That was odd. These two were tied to the hip.

"Where's father?"

 As if on cue, the door burst wide open and my father, Desmond, strode in like he owned the place.

"Hello, son!" he deeply chirped  and gave me hug.

He patted my back, "How are you?" he asked.

I rolled my eyes, "I'm fine, father. I rather not ask you why you're doing here because the answer would be the same just like mother's." I said and pulled back.

He gave a throaty chuckle, "Now, now. What's wrong with us visiting you?"

I deadpanned, "Because you both have intentions whenever you visit me."

My mother sighed, "Fine. Sit." She ordered.

I growled but did what I was told. They made themselves comfortable and mother started to speak, "Derek, it's been years since that incident. It's about time that you settle down and get married."

I groaned. Not this again.

"Who's the poor girl this time, huh? I bet you enticed her with money and among other things. The last few girls you arranged me with were goldiggers and whores."

She grinned mischievously, "Oh, I'm sure you are going to adore this one."

I rolled my eyes, "I doubt that, mother."

She tilted her body to the door and yelled, "Come in, my dear!"

The door was open, so the mystery person appeared on the doorway with a big grin on her face.

"DEREK!" she squealed.

She ran over and hurled herself at me, "Oh my god!  It's been so long."

I patted her back gently, "It's been a while, Alexis."

Alexis had been a good friend of mine for several decades now. She was the daughter to one of my father's friends, and we met during a clan gathering. She was a sweet, kind hearted girl, and it was hard to imagine that she was single. Don't get me wrong, she was attractive with her raven black hair, dark blue eyes and soft pink lips that curled into a warm smile.

What amazed was that, she was there for me after what happened between me and Miranda.

Let's just say there was a cat fight and Alexis won.

She pulled back and gave me a smile, "It's good to see you."

"What are you doing here? I thought you were in Paris with Sasha?"