Chapter 9: A False Reality

⊷⋄⋄⚄⋄⋄⊶
Bertolt's POV

Later that day, we went to Ymir and Christa's bar again. This time, I was more cautious with how much I drank.

So far, there wasn't a sound to be heard, just the occasional clinking of glass from Ymir and Christa.

Suddenly, Reiner spoke up.

"So what occupation did you study in Junior Academy?" He asked.

"Human health care," I answered.

"So if I ever get hurt, you can fix me?" He smirked.

"I could," I replied.

"Well I want to go work in the Archives of History," Reiner stated.

"So I'm assuming you know a lot about the history of the world?" I asked.

"I do," he replied. "I know a lot about the past and events and most things of the sort."

"So do you know exactly how this system came to place?" I asked him.

"Somewhat," he glanced around us. Christa and Ymir were in the kitchen doing who knows what.

"Can you tell me about it?" This was my chance. If he knew things that are not made known to public, then I will finally be able to find some answers to as why we have this system. Why we stick by it. Why we have walls. Why we are divided into regions.

I could finally get answers.

He sighed. "If you want answers, we have to speak quietly and you have to promise not to tell a single soul. Do you promise?"

I nodded. "Cross my heart."

"And hope to die?"

I stared at him. "Not really."

Reiner chuckled and patted me on the back. "Same here, Bertl. Same here." He took another sip of his drink. "So you want to know why this system is used even though it was so brutal, correct?"

I nodded.

"Well almost every word that they have said was true about the past," Reiner answered. The earth was overpopulated, dying, corrupted, and horribly polluted. People were already starving.

Then, around the year of 2050, the fossil fuel supply almost completely diminished. This meant people had to resort back to the way of living as they did without any advancements that depended on oil. And because of this, many families couldn't afford to feed their children. Even the richest had to work for the first time. At one point, money had almost no value. The countries were completely isolated from each other.

At this point in desperateness, they accepted Zackley's system. At first, the only thing that was said to be in the system was the countries would come together and divide to become regions, areas of dense population to try and restart a normal life. Once everything was fine again, we were supposed to come out of the walls and live out in the world again.

It was also agreed that Zackley would rule as an elected President and that it would be his job to make sure that the other regions were like that as well.

After this, he became what the textbooks described him as a fair dictator for life, but I like to see him as a totalitarian dictator. After that, he implied the system we know today.

He applied this system because there were way too many people to take care of, so he wanted to reduce the population."

"So Zackley's great grandfather seized power," I recapitulated. Reiner nodded.