Arranged Heartbreak • Act I // S.S. • ღ

Summary: Falling in love had never been easy. Falling in love with an upper-class muggle-born?
A recipe for assured heartbreak.

————————————

The first time Sebastian met her, they were in their fifth-year.

She was new: a transfer student from Italy with foreign relatives, at least from her father's side. The circumstances weren't quite favourable, though, as the reason for their first meeting was Sebastian being a good friend after Ominis wronged her, and trying to mend the ties between the two of them.

When Sebastian dared to ask his friend what the reason for their disagreement was, the blond only blushed in embarrassment, before uttering two simple words that made his breath hitch. "Women's rights."

"I'm sure I can charm my way in as always," Sebastian replied confidently after the blond expressed his own doubts. "Just tell me where you think we can find this Miss ____."

"I think I know where she spends her time when not in the Common Room," Ominis said grimly, as he began to lead his friend through the corridors. "Thank you, Sebastian, but I must warn you... she's very stubborn. You might not be able to convince her so easily."

"Anything for you my friend." Sebastian smiled, completely ignoring the last statement, and followed Ominis around as the blond, he realised after a few minutes, led him towards the Library. He smiled despite himself as they entered the familiar place and started scanning for anyone whom he didn't recognise.

As they turned a corner, he stopped abruptly. At the end of the aisle stood a girl pacing back and forth with a tome in her hands, frowning slightly as she read through the pages.

Sebastian immediately noticed the typical Mediterranean features, such as the curve of her hips that appeared from time to time as her robes swung around her body with each step, her olive-toned but flawless skin, and her big, deep eyes adorned with long, thick lashes.

He felt his breath catch at the elegance with which she moved, not exactly confident per se, no - on the contrary, the way her shoulders slumped a little and her legs stayed close together with each step showed a complete lack of the usual poise purebloods usually had. She moved like a Muggle, but her steps held a commensurate regality to her family's supposed high esteem, and the way her head ducked slightly toward the book told him that she had been prepared for more in life than holding a profession in the wizarding world.

"That's Miss ____? If only you could see her... you would've fallen to your knees during the argument." Sebastian leaned in to whisper to Ominis: his tone was definitely teasing but there was some wonder in it.

Ominis nudged his arm, letting out a bashful laugh. "I can easily sense it as well."

Sebastian looked down at him, and at the wand glowing red in his hands. It never failed to fascinate him.

"You better keep your wits about you. She nearly bit my head off and no matter how many times I tried to retort, she always seemed one step ahead." The Gaunt boy sighed and then gave the brunet a small knowing smile. "I think she's already got you wrapped around her finger though. You can't blame me for not falling for her, I never did have that much of a thing for romance."

"Is that so?" Sebastian teased him, stealing glances at the girl and noticing the way her bottom lip slightly disappeared under her top one every once in a while. "Well, I'll go get your forgiveness and perhaps..." He trailed off with a slight smirk, now taking a long, not-so-subtle look. "Your blessing as well?"

"I'm no priest." Ominis let out a small laugh. "She's really got a hold on you, hasn't she? I can only wish you my best of luck. And if all else fails, you have my blessing to give up."