(i) jashn-e-bahara

Start from the beginning

"How— how do you even know?" My hand was still covering my mouth and I was not ready to believe what was going on. Chachu told him already?

"I'll tell you. Tu bas bahar aaja, mai raste mein tujhe sab batata hun." What is going on?

(You just come outside, I'll tell you everything on the way.)

"Give me 5 minutes." I cut the call and stared at the guy sitting in front of me blankly. I shouldn't be doing this, should I? But... I have to.

"Uh," I looked at him and tucked my hair behind my ears. "Turns out, my best friend is being proposed to by Ka— her boyfriend. And he's waiting outside for me. I know I shouldn't be doing this but these two are very important for me and I promise I'll make it up to you tomorrow." I was so out of breath saying this because I said it too quickly.

"It's totally fine." He chuckled. "But how will you make it up to me if we have no contact with each other?" I stood up and took my purse from near the chair. I looked at him and smiled.

"You can take my number from either one of them," I looked towards Di and Jiju and he turned his head to find them too. I started walking away.

"But, what will I save your number as?" He asked, and I was in a little too much in a hurry to actually comprehend what he said.

"They'll tell you." I smiled and walked outside the place. Who says that? Oh, my god. That's dumb.

I went with Kabir and it turns out, he actually proposed to Vaidehi. I am really happy for both of them, after all why wouldn't I be? But, my best friend just got proposed to by the love of her life and here I am. Getting married to a random guy, whose name— I don't even know. He probably knows my name now. That's unfair.

Vaidehi came towards me and I didn't even because I was so busy staring at the three stars I could see in the sky, thinking about Mr. Nameless. She shook me and asked me where my mind was. I told her everything. She hit me and her now fiancé on our heads.

"Are you seriously out of your mind, Inayat!?" She screamed as I looked away. A lecture was ahead of me and I know that very well.

"Thank God Jiju made you meet with a normal guy, what if it was some psycho or old uncle?" She held my hands from my wrists and looked straight into my eyes.

"I knew he wouldn't do that, though." I defended him. I had to.

"What's his name, then?" She raised her eyebrows and sat next to me.

"Why are we talking about him right now? You just got engaged, let's celebrate that." I tried to avoid the topic and Kabir started looking at me questioningly.

"That means— you don't know his name." Kabir spoke and face-palmed himself. I stared at him to stop. Aise bhai se toh koi dushman hi hota behtar tha.

(It's better to have an enemy than to have a brother like this.)

"You don't know his name!? You fucking idiot. Have you lost it?" Vaidehi shouted at me while hitting my shoulder and again, stared at me.

"He doesn't know mine either, probably—" I whispered and before I could say anything, I was pulled away from where I was sitting.

"Babes, tu itni badi loner kabse ho gayi?" Vaidehi said, as Kabir nudged her with his elbow asking her to stop and she denied. She's like my adoptive mother. Just crazier than the actual one.

(Since when have you become such a big loner?)

I didn't say anything, I just looked down at the ground; ashamed. She's right but I'm right too. Tears formed in my eyes. She pulled me into her arms and hugged me. Kabir joined the hug. Jealous saala.