I. Beyond Silence

It's thirty minutes past two in the afternoon

It's thirty minutes past two in the afternoon. While others ran back and forth, a group of students chose to sit on the stairs of the engineering building. It's just a few minutes after their calculus professor dismissed them. And here lies everyone trying to discuss solutions on every problems they encountered and solved during the last couple of days, taking in consideration the examples given in their class.

Naya has her head on her knees. Crying? No, she's not. She's sleepy because she spent the night until dawn studying the things she missed for the last couple of weeks she wasn't in the mood. She was almost hugging the railings in the stairs as she close her eyes. She was just listening to the discussion that seemed to be an argument as seen by other people, but she couldn't careless. Her drowsy state makes her understand nothing, so she nods everytime someone asks her for confirmation about their arguments. Beside her is her cousin, Andrew who drags her to this messy world she's now in.

She opened her mouth to yawn and raised her right hand to her face as she was about to cover her mouth but it was suspended in the air when a stranger sat beside her, between her and her cousin. The stranger then, without introduction, started to discuss about his newly learned theory about how to solve radical numbers using some manipulation to come up answers in a much simpler and easier way. The others nods at his explanation as they all agree how to defy all the formulas the dead mathematicians provide us for all those years. Naya was just there, with mouth open stared at the stranger. Apparently, his strange actions and his confident explanations got Naya mesmerized much more than how her korean idol caught her attention. The others were listening to him and his theories and she know she's not the only one idolizing his brain. And she's why, very well.

"Hey, Alexis," Naya called his close friend Alexis beside her. They are in their 5:30 class and it's still five in the afternoon. They still got thirty minutes time to waste talking about some things. In their classroom sits not a half of their class number. Those who live near the campus went home, others grab food somewhere, while them, they stayed in their classroom, kissing their desks with their cheeks.

"Yes?" Alexis gave her a glance then immediately went back to whatever he was watching on his phone. Naya looked at his screen and it was anime. She then looked at the stranger sitting by the corner of the room alone. He was the same guy who sat beside her on the stairs earlier.

"Who's that guy?" Naya pointed at the guy without shame. Alexis looked at her fingers. With his eyes, traced the invisible line coming from her fingers to where he is pointing.

"Ah! That's Marco," Alexis simply said.

"Marco who?" Naya is definitely bored. She doesn't have load so she can't play games with her phone. Her usual anti-boredom stuff is to pester someone else's life. And maybe Marco-who hits the spot for today.

"Marco Alcaraz. He loves somewhere in your direction," Alexis answered without looking at her.

"In my boarding house or in my town?" Naya asked even more. She's not even wondering why she's not getting into Alexis' nerves for all her questions.

"Both," Alexis said. Naya just nod, existed to prey on this poor guy.

"Wait, I'll say hi." The grin on Naya's face made Alexis chase her with his sight.

Marco has his focus centered to the chess game he's been playing on his phone. He was sure to capture his foe's queen but the latter did an unexpected move that made him lose his knight instead. His forehead wrinkled in frustration but his face remains calm and he was just silent.

"That's bad," a voice beside him made him jolt a little. Gladly, he managed to stick his ass to the chair so people won't laugh at him in case he slipped and fell off of it just because someone played mushroom beside him.

"Yeah," he played his response well.

"Your forehead needs ironing though," Naya's fingers touched Marco's forehead. A simple connection sends shivers to both bodies. A bad omen or good fortune together? No one knows.

Marco held Naya's wrist and glued it to her side. He asked, "Why are you here?"

Naya just shrugged her own shoulders, "I don't know. I'm bored."

"And I'm your boredom plaything?" Marco asked amused, chuckling in between.

"A bit? I don't know. I just saw you." Naya can't help but played her own nails. Seems like her plans bounce back to her as her moves seems like unreasonable, and a bit offensive. "We're classmates you know. I'm Naya."

Marco stared at Naya's hand in front of her. He doesn't know whether to accept it or not. He knows touching the girl's palm won't end the interaction here. Looking at the girl's eyes, Naya seems alot like a troublemaker.

Something will change. But he doesn't want to be rude.

"Marco," he said shaking her hand. She smiled sweetly at him.

"Hey, Maria."