Chapter 11 - Towards the Depths

Start from the beginning

With an angry roar, the Cave Mother thrashed furiously, forcing Moonless to release her, and causing me to move away to avoid being hit.

Taking a few steps back, I noticed the Cave Mother's eyes focusing on me. I quickly jumped back, dodging the series of bites the monster sent my way.

Suddenly, the Cave Mother lunged toward me, but I was quick enough to move out of the way, narrowly avoiding the creature's mangled wing.

Taking advantage of this opening, I slashed the Cave Mother's back repeatedly, tearing skin and flesh and leaving behind a series of bloody wounds.

Without wasting time, I returned to the girl's side, keeping the Cave Mother in my field of vision.

I felt Kitab moving in my hand, I opened the book and read the contents of the pages.

"I'm surprised; you took the initiative and fought the monster!"

"Honessstlyyy, the morrre thingsss betwwweeennn me and the monsssterrrsss, the bettterrr, but I realizzzed sssomething durrring the fffight in the catacombsss."

"What?" Kitab asked.

"I cccan't depend on my magiccc, I don't want to have anotherrr moment of madnesss. To avoid thisss, I need to get bettterrr at fighting monsssterrrsss and leading our sssmall grrroup."

"Look at you! You are learning! I'm so proud of you!" Kitab exclaimed.

I didn't respond to the book, as the Cave Mother attacked the Girl and me violently. We quickly moved out of the way, causing the creature to head into the rock wall behind us.

I felt Kitab moving again, and for a moment I changed my focus to the book.

"Hey, the girl wants to help."

Looking at the Girl in question, I saw that she was holding her dagger in both hands as she stared at the Cave Mother nervously.

Hm... She wants to help in the fight, but she is still afraid of the monsters.

"Yyyou want to help, don't yyyou?" I asked the Girl.

She jumped in surprise upon heard my voice but nodded quickly to my question.

Focusing on the Cave Mother, I saw the creature remove its head from the wall, this gives us time.

"We'll do thisss togetherrr, I'll go ahead and yyyou'll come rrright behind me. An advice; aim forrr the legsss."

The girl nodded with a nervous smile, so we advanced toward the Cave Mother.

Come on! Just one more time! I cast Glimpse of Truth and what I expected happened.

With a determined face, the girl slashed at the Cave Mother's right leg, the cuts weren't deep, but the Girl's dagger was sharp, leaving a series of cuts behind.

The Cave Mother's legs shook. The monster had difficulty staying upright and fell on one knee. This allowed me to swing Shark Teeth towards the Cave Mother's neck.

The monster let out a choked scream as blood gushed from its throat. Wasting no time, I applied more strength behind my strike, ripping out the Cave Mother's throat.

The monster staggered, trying to stay upright, leaving bloody trails wherever it went, but it was too late. A few seconds later, the Cave Mother fell to the ground, creating a pool of blood.

I let out a relieved sigh but jumped slightly when I felt someone tugging at the tail of my shirt, looking down I saw the girl smiling at me as she jumped slightly.