Choices we make come back to bite us

Zacznij od początku

Calliope walked up to him, her eyes sad for some reason, Alec couldn't tell why. "I've decided to take her offer."

Alec's heart dropped, "what? Why?"

Calliope gave him a small smile, "Lydia is right. I'm not mundane anymore, Alec. I'm a shadowhunter, and if going to Idris can ensure my future in this world, I can protect my mom and my sister. And in order to do that, I can train under whoever is willing to accept me despite who my father is."

"We'll accept you, Calliope. I accept you."

Alec didn't understand, he was confused. He thought that maybe he only needed to persuade Lydia, but it turns out it wasn't Lydia he needed to persuade.

"Alec, you can't say things like this," Calliope frowned, "not when you're already a married man—"

"But I'm not married," Alec tells her, he could see her brows scrunch in confusion, "I didn't finish the ceremony, I walked out. I—"

"You left her at the altar?" Calliope asked him, but something in her tone gave him the impression that she was a bit pleased with what he did, but he couldn't be so sure.

"I know it sounds bad, but yeah. She's okay with it though," he tried to defend himself. Instead of answering, Calliope gave him a small smile, taking a step back, "I have to go look for Lydia," she tells him before leaving him in the hallway, alone.

Walking ahead, as fast as she could, her shoes thumping against the carpet, she turns to the Head's office and knocks. The door opens to reveal Lydia, her hair still in an intricate bun, holding a bag in one hand. "Calliope? What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to ask you something," she replied, catching sight of the bag in Lydia's hand. "Are you leaving?" She asked the blonde.

"Yeah," Lydia answered, opening the door further to let Calliope in, "since the wedding is canceled, it's my chance to leave with a little pride," Lydia added, placing the bag on the table near a painting.

"I'm sorry that happened to you," Calliope tells her, looking down on her hands.

"Don't be," Lydia chuckled, "I knew it wasn't going to work out, at least not when Alec doesn't seem to keep his mind empty from you."

"Excuse me?" Calliope asked her, confused.

Lydia chuckled, "of course neither of you are aware," Lydia says, turning to Calliope before reaching for both of her hands. "Alec froze when my stele was about to draw the rune on his hand, he froze, Calliope."

"Why would he? Didn't he want this?"

"He didn't," Lydia answered. "and it would've been wrong of me to allow him to make the wrong choice, and both of you deserve better than that."

"Lydia," Calliope's voice was quiet, "I'm so sorry—"

"Hey, it's okay," Lydia smiled, "Treat this as my apology for not being the best cousin in your circumstance."

"Honestly? You're the only cousin I'm sure is willing to take me in," Calliope smiled, "and if it's not too late, I would be honored to be under your mentorship."

Lydia's smile widened, pulling Calliope into a hug, both women's hearts were beating in excitement. Taking a couple more seconds, the women let go of each other, one brimming in happy tears, while the other was smiling from ear to ear, chuckling to themselves.

"Well, I have to transport the cup tonight," Lydia spoke up, "but I will come back to get you after you wake your mom. And I will tell you now, you will love Idris," Lydia grinned. Taking out her stele turning to a wall.